Hanadi A. G. Salem is a professor of materials science in the Department of Mechanical Engineering. She is the founder of the Nanotechnology Master’s Program at AUC, 2009-2010, and has served as the director of the program for five years since September 2010. She is a co-founder of the Egyptian National Nanotechnology Network (ENNN) and the University representative. She received her BSc and MSc degrees in materials science and engineering at AUC, and received her PhD in mechanical engineering in the materials field from Texas A&M University 1997. She joined the Department of Mechanical Engineering at AUC as an assistant professor in 1999.
Salem was the Associate Chair of Mechanical Engineering Department 2016. She is one of the four-founders of the Yousef Jameel Science and technology research center (YJSTRC) since 2002 and was the Associate Director for Fund Raising and External Funding at the center November 2007. She is a co-founder of the PhD program in Applied Sciences and Engineering fall 2011 and a co-founder of the master’s program in biotechnology, 2008
Salem has vast experience in program accreditation at the graduate and undergraduate levels, nationally (supreme council for higher education) and internationally (ABET), and the Middle States at the institutional level. Salem chaired the Department Accreditation Committee (DAC) from Fall 2012 to Fall 2015 for the Mechanical Engineering Program ABET accreditation cycle of Fall 2014. She served as a steering committee member and a co-chair in the Middle States (MSCHE) 2008 accreditation cycle and is currently serving as a co-chair and a member of the MSCHE steering committee fall 2015-Fall 2017. She is currently a member of the University Strategic Planning Steering Committee. Salem is chairing the University Senate Faculty Affairs Committee (FAC) effective July 2017.
Salem was a visiting professor at Functional Materials Center at the Royal Institute of Technology (KTH), Stockholm, Sweden; a visiting professor in the mechanical and aerospace engineering department of North Carolina State University, NC USA; a research associate in the Department of Materials Science of the Georgia Institute of Technology, GA and at the University of South Carolina, Colombia, SC USA. She has collaborated on research both nationally and internationally in the U.S., Canada and U.K. Salem supervised a large a number of MSc and PhD students at AUC, national universities, regionally and internationally.
Salem’s research mainly focuses on the processing of Bulk nanostructured materials (BNSM) via a combination of top-down and bottom-up approaches. A combination of powder metallurgy technique and Sever plastic deformation was employed in her research for the production of nanostructured bulk products with superior properties for tribological and high temperature light weight applications. In Fall 2010, Salem was awarded the Excellence in Research and Creative Endeavors at the AUC level and SSE Service Achievement for establishment of the NT program. She has been published in around 85 international journal and conference publications, and has received many grants in the field of nanomaterials synthesis and processing for high performance applications. She is a pioneer in the Friction Stir Welding and Processing (FSW/P) and Intense Plastic deformation for joining of the ultrafine recrystallized ultrahigh strength/tough Aluminum alloys. In March 2016, Salem introduced the first wire additive manufacturing technology in the Middle East, which is suitable for repairing the un-repaired parts in aviation and automobile sectors.
- Synthesis and characterization of composite metallic and ceramic nanopowders and nanostructured powders
- Consolidation Behavior of Micro and Nanostructure Metallic, intermetallic Bulk materials
- Metal and Ceramic Matrix Nanocomposites Fabrication and Characterization.
- Self-Lubricating metal based-graphene nanocomposites
- Bulk Nanostructure Material Fabrication Via
- Spark Plasma Sintering (SPS);
- Additive layer Manufacturing (ALM), wire and powder based;
- Sever Plastic Straining (ECAP, HPT, TMP)
- Friction Stir Processing (FSP)
- Ceramic Coatings And Thin Films Processing and Characterization.
Salem has had the honor of serving as a full time faculty member in the field of materials and manufacturing in the Department of Mechanical Engineering at AUC. Working at AUC for the past 17 years has helped her gain an ineffable amount of experience in teaching and course and program development. This section highlights her teaching activities and accomplishments, starting September 1999 to present.
Note: Salem, similar to many of the MENG faculty, has been teaching between 11 to 13 credit hours per semester throughout her years of service. Salem taught a wide spectrum of courses: eight undergraduate courses ranging from 100-400 level, six graduate 500 level MENG and NANO courses; in addition to senior project courses (as a coordinator and project supervisor) and seminar courses.
Ongoing Research Projects
- Low cost ALM Restoration of un-repairable Aircraft parts, EGP 999,968
- Enhanced Shear Rolling project, EGP 500,000
- Enhanced Biogas Production via Nanoadditives and Solar Energy, EGP 788,000
- CNT-Graphene Hybrid thin films for Energy generation.
- Bulk Nanostructured Nanocomposite (BNN) Mechanical Components with Ultra High Mechanical Properties using Selective Layer Manufacturing (SLM) Technique.
- Self-Lubricating Nanocomposite fabricated via combination of top-down and bottom-up approaches
Ph.D. Mechanical Engineering, Texas A&M University, TX, USA, Dec. 1997
M.Sc. Materials Science and Engineering, American University in Cairo, June 1987
B.Sc. Materials Science and Engineering, American University in Cairo, June 1983
INTERNATIONAL AND REGIONAL COLLABORATIONS
- Functional Materials Group, The Royal Institute of Technology (KTH), Stockholm, Sweden;
- Department of Materials and Environmental Chemistry, Stokholm University, Stokholm, Sweden
- Department of Metallurgy and Materials, Birmingham University, Birmingham, UK
- Department of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering, North Carolina State University, NC USA
- Department of Materials Science, Georgia Institute of Technology, Colombia,GA USA
- Department of Mechanical Engineering, University of South Carolina, SC USA
- Department of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering, George Washington University, Washington, DC, USA
- Department of Mechanical and Manufacturing Engineering, Farmingdal State College.
- Department of Engineering and Information Sciences, University of Wollongong, Australia
- Department of Mechanical Engineering University of Alberta, Alberta, Canada
- Computational Solid Mechanics Laboratory, Division of Physical Sciences and Engineering, King Abdullah University of Science and Technology (KAUST), SA
PUBLICATIONS IN REFERREED JOURNALS
- A ElGhazaly, Geraldine Anis, Hanadi G Salem, “Effect of graphene addition on the mechanical and tribological behavior of nanostructured AA2124 self-lubricating metal matrix composite” Composites Part A, Vol. 95, (2017), pp.325-33
- P. Morcos, KI ElKhodary, H. G. Salem, “Mechanically Alloyed Magnesium Based Nanostructured Alloy Powders for Biomedical Applications”, Magnesium Technology 2017, The Minerals, Metals & Materials Series, pp 35-41.
- H. Salem, H. G. Salem, M. M. Attallah, “Composite Powder Consolidation Using Selective Laser Melting: Input Energy/Porosity Morphology/Balling Effect Relation”TMS 2017 146th Annual Meeting & Exhibition Supplemental Proceedings The Minerals, Metals & Materials Series pp 169-180.
- A El Ghazaly, M Shokeir, SN El Moghazi, A Fathy, MM Emara and H. G. Salem, “Nanocomposites Mechanical and Tribological Properties Using Graphene-Coated-SiC Nanoparticles (GCSiCNP) for Light Weight Applications”, Proceedings of the 3rd Pan American Materials Congress, Part of the series The Minerals, Metals & Materials Series pp 403-415.
- Shaheen, Basamat S; Davenport, Timothy C; Salem, Hanadi G; Haile, Sossina M; Allam, Nageh K. “Rapid and controlled electrochemical synthesis of crystalline niobium oxide microcones”, MRS Communications; Warrendale5.3 (2015): 495-501.
- H. G. Salem, W. H. El-Garaihy, S. E. Oraby, El-Sayed M. A. Rassoul, “On the Effect of SiC Content and Processing Temperature on Relative Density and Hardness of Hot Compacted Aluminum AA6061 Composite – Mathematical Empirical and Response Surface Approach”, Journal of Materials Science Research, Vol. 4, No 3,(2015), p.1-14
- M Ragab, H. G. Salem, “Investigation of the Structural Stability of Nanostructured Al‐5.7 wt.%‐Ni Mechanically Alloyed Eutectic Alloy Powders, Light Metals (2015), pp.347-351.
- MA Elhamid, MM Emara, H. G. Salem, “Influence of Mixing Technique on the Mechanical Properties and Structural Evolution of Al-NiAl Composites” Journal of Materials Engineering and performance, Vol. 23, Issue 10, (2014), pp 3425–3435. Eldesouky, A., Johnsson, M. , Svengren, H., Attallah, M.M. and Salem, H.G., "Effect of grain size reduction of AA2124 aluminum alloy powder compacted by spark plasma sintering", Journal of Alloys and Compounds, Volume 609, 5, (2014) Pages 215-221.
- ND Afify, HG Salem, A Yavari, T El Sayed, “Consolidation of nanometer-sized aluminum single crystals: Microstructure and defects evolutions”, Computational Materials Science, Vol. 85, (2014), pp. 306-309.
- Basamat S. Shaheen, Hanadi G Salem, Mostafa A. El-Sayed, and Nageh K. Allam: “Thermal/Electrochemical Growth and Characterization of One-ZnO/TiO Hybrid Nanoelectrodes for Solar Fuel Production”, J. Phys. Chem. C, C117 (36), (2013), pp.18502-509.
- Ahmed Salem, Yasmine Zakarya, Mats Johnsson and Hanadi Salem, “Influence Of Spark Plasma Sintering On The Mechanical Behavior Of Micro And Nano Aa2124 Powders”, TMS 2013 Annual Meeting and Exhibition San Antonio, TX, USA March 2-7, 2013.
- Ahmed Ghazaly, Bassamt Shahin, and Hanadi Salem, “Mechanical and Tribological Properties Of Aa2124-Graphene Self Lubricating Nanocomposite”, Light Metals 2013 Edited by: Barry Sadler TMS (The Minerals, Metals & Materials Society), 2013, USA March 2-7, (2013) p. 411-415
- ND Afify, HG Salem, A Yavari, T El Sayed, “Mechanism of the superior mechanical strength of nanometer-sized metal single crystals revealed”, Computer Materials Science, Vol 78, (2013), pp. 34-38.
- Hala Omar, Ahmed Ibrahim, Hanadi Salem, Sherif Sedky, “Effect of Pulsed Laser on the structure and morphology of Alumina-Zirconia Coatings”, Journal of Surface Engineered Materials and Advanced Technology, (2013), Article ID:34493, DOI:10.4236/jse.
- M.A. Yar a, Sverker Wahlberg a, Hans Bergqvist a, H.G. Salem, Mats Johnsson , Mamoun Muhammed, “Fabrication of Nanostructured W-Y2O3 Materials by Chemical Methods”, Journal of Materials Chemistry, Vol. 22, (2012), pp.12622-12628.
- H.G. Salem, William M Lee, Laurence Bodelot, G Ravichandran, MA Zikry, “Quasi-static and high-strain-rate experimental microstructural investigation of a high-strength aluminum alloy”, Metallurgical and Materials Transactions A, Vol. 43, Issue 6, (2012), pp.1895-1901.
- Mohy Eldin, Hanadi G. Salem, “Effect of Milling Energy on the Structural Evolution and Stability of Nanostructured Al-5.7wt.% Ni Mechanically Alloyed Eutectic Alloy” Journal of Powder Technology, vol. 222 (2012), pp. 108–116.
- M. El-Sayed, H. Salem, A. Kandeil and W. D. Griffiths, “Effect Of Holding Time before Solidification On Doubleoxide, Film Defects And Mechanical Properties Of, Aluminium Alloys”, Metallurgical and Materials Transactions B, Vol 42B, Dec.( 2011), pp. 1104-1109.
- M.A. Yar a, Sverker Wahlberg a, Hans Bergqvist a, H.G. Salem , Mats Johnsson , Mamoun Muhammed, “Spark plasma sintering of tungsten–yttrium oxide composites from chemically synthesized nanopowders and microstructural characterization”, Journal of Nuclear Materials 412 (2011) 227–232.
- M. Mazher, H. Salem, M. Johansson, and M. Mohammed, “Chemically Produced Tungsten-La2O3 Nano Powders and ODS-Tungsten Metals Sintered by SPS” Journal of Nuclear Materials, Volume 408, Issue 2, 15 January (2011), Pages 129-135.
- Elkhodary, K. I. E., Salem, H. A., M. A., Patent, "Shear Enhanced Rolling (SER)", AUC-114/PCT, Regular, United States. (Application: December 2016).
- Hanadi Salem and Waleed ElGaraihi, Patent, “Multi-Channel Spiral Twist Extrusion”, AUC-124/PROV, May 1, 2017.
ENGR 101/1001 Introduction to Engineering
ENGR 229/2112- Strength and Testing of Materials
MENG 327/3227 Engineering Materials
MENG 426/4226 Metals, Alloys & Composites
MENG 427/4227 Failure of Mechanical Components
MENG 428/4228 Selection of Materials and Processes for Design
MENG 433 Welding & Casting: Design, Maintenance and Inspection
MENG 429/4229/5230 Nanostructured Materials
MENG 490/4980 Senior Design I, coordinator and project supervisor
MENG 490/4981 Senior Design II, coordinator and project supervisor
MENG 521/5221 Advanced Topics in Mechanical Behavior of Engineering Materials
MENG 522/5222 Materials in Design and Manufacturing
MENG 523/5223 Physical Metallurgy
MENG 529/5229 Failure Analysis and Prevention
NANO 531/5200 Nanomaterials Synthesis, Processing and Applications
NANO 532/5232 Nanocomposites Science and Technology
NANO 590/5980 Graduate Thesis Seminar I