Abdel-Meguid is a tenured associate professor of accounting and associate dean for undergraduate studies and assessment at The American University in Cairo's School of Business – a Triple Crown school (AACSB, EQUIS, and AMBA) where he teaches financial accounting and auditing courses.
He was the chair of the department of accounting (2013 – 2016) and the director of the MBA Programs at AUC - School of Business (2013-2015). He previously taught financial accounting and auditing courses at Syracuse University, the German University in Cairo, and Ain Shams University. He also has extensive experience in teaching training courses for professional certifications such as the Certified Public Accountant (CPA) and the Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA). Abdel-Meguid was a consultant to the Egyptian Tax Authority – Ministry of Finance from 2007 till 2010. He was also the liaison between the School of Business at the AUC and the Secretariat of the Principles for Responsible Management Education (PRME) of the UN (2011-2014). Abdel-Meguid was the founding faculty advisor for two student clubs as at AUC; the Corporate Governance Club (CGC: 2010-2014) and the Accounting Association (ActA: 2015-2016). He served on the Transparency and Integrity Committee of Egyptian Ministry of State for Administrative Development (2009- 2010).
His research focuses on Auditing, Audit Quality, Auditor’s Industry Specialization, Corporate Governance, and Earnings Quality. He has papers published in the Journal of Accounting and Public Policy, Review of Accounting and Finance, Journal of Management and Governance, International Journal of Accounting and Information Management, Corporate Governance: The International Journal of Business in Society, International Journal of Corporate Governance, and Emerald Emerging Markets Case Studies.
Abdel-Meguid holds a Master of Science in accounting and a PhD in business administration (accounting) from Syracuse University (USA). He is also a Certified Public Accountant (CPA) “not in public practice” certificate holder.
- ACCT 2001 - Financial Accounting
- ACCT 3001 - Intermediate Accounting I
- ACCT 3002 - Intermediate Accounting II
- ACCT 3003 - Advanced Accounting
- ACCT 3005 – Auditing
- ACCT 4001 – Contemporary Issues in Auditing and Forensic Accounting
- ACCT 5201 – Financial Reporting and Analysis
- Bachelor of Commerce (BCom) – Faculty of Commerce, Ain Shams University (1999)
- Master of Science in Accounting (MS) - Whitman School of Management, Syracuse University (2002)
- Doctor of Philosophy in Business Administration [Accounting] (PhD) - Whitman School of Management, Syracuse University (2007)
- Duellman, S., Ahmed, A.S., & Abdel-Meguid, A.M. (2013). “An Empirical Analysis of the Effects of Monitoring Intensity on the Relation between Equity Incentives and Earnings Management” Journal of Accounting and Public Policy, 32 (6), 495–517.
- Abdel-Meguid, A.M., Ahmed, A.S., &Duellman, S. (2013).“Auditor independence, corporate governance and aggressive financial reporting: an empirical analysis”, Journal of Management and Governance, 17, (2), 283-307
- Abdel-Meguid, A.M. (2012).“Auditor-client compatibility and corporate governance effectiveness: an empirical analysis”, International Journal of Corporate Governance (IJCG), 3 (1), 19-45.
- Fernando, G.D, Abdel-Meguid, A.M. & Elder, R.J. (2010) “Audit quality attributes, client size and cost of equity capital” Review of Accounting and Finance, 9 (4). 363 – 381
- Audit quality
- Auditor’s industry specialization
- Corporate governance
- Earnings quality
Selected Awards and Honors
- AUC – Excellence in Academic Service Award (June 2017)
- The Millstein Center for Global Markets and Corporate Ownership at Columbia Law School Rising Star of Corporate Governance Award (December 2015)
- AUC – Excellence in Teaching Award (June 2014)
- AUC - Senate Honorary Award (May 2013)