Mohamed Shalan is an associate professor (with tenure) at the Department of Computer Science and Engineering at the American University in Cairo. Before joining the AUC, Shalan assumed several engineering roles with Mentor Graphics, Motorola, and Mindspeed.
He received his PhD and MSc degrees in computer engineering from the Georgia Institute of Technology and Ain Shams University. His research interests include open-source EDA, hardware and software codesign for embedded systems, and low-power computing systems. Shalan has over 40 refereed publications. Also, he holds three US patents.
- Manar Abdelatty, Mohamed Gaber and Mohamed Shalan, "Fault: Open-Source EDA’s Missing DFT Toolchain," IEEE Design and Test ( Volume: 38, Issue: 2, April 2021)
- Tim Edwards and Mohamed Shalan, "Real Silicon Using Open-Source EDA", IEEE Design & Test ( Volume: 38, Issue: 2, April 2021)
- Abdallah Elewi, Mohamed Shalan, Medhat Awadalla and ElSayes Sadd, "Energy-Efficient Task Allocation Techniques for Asymmetric Multiprocessor Embedded Systems," ACM Transactions on Embedded Computing Systems, Vol. 13, No. 2s, Article 71, January 2014.
- Mohamed Shalan and Tim Edwards, “Building OpenLANE: A 130nm OpenROAD-based Tapeout-Proven Flow,” Proceedings of the International Conference on Computer Aided Design (ICCAD), 2020
- Ahmed Ghazy and Mohamed Shalan, “OpenLANE: The Open-Source Digital ASIC Implementation Flow,” Workshop on Open-Source EDA Technology (WOSET), 2020 [won: 3rd best Open-Source EDA tool]
- A. Hosny, S. Hashemi, Mohamed Shalan and S. Reda, “DRiLLS: Deep Reinforcement Learning for Logic Synthesis", Proceedings of IEEE Asia and South Pacific Design Automation Conference, 2020.
- T. Ajayi, V. A. Chhabria, M. Fogaça, S. Hashemi, A. Hosny, A. B. Kahng, M. Kim, J. Lee, U. Mallappa, M. Neseem, G. Pradipta, S. Reda, M. Saligane, S. S. Sapatnekar, C. Sechen, Mohamed Shalan, W. Swartz, L. Wang, Z. Wang, M. Woo and B. Xu, “Toward an Open-Source Digital Flow: First Learnings from the OpenROAD Project,” Proceedings of the ACM/IEEE Design Automation Conference, 2019.
- Mohamed Shalan and Sherief Reda, “Open-source SoC Workflow in Cloud V,” Workshop on Open-Source EDA Technology (WOSET2018), San Diego, November 2018 [2nd best Open-Source EDA tool]
- Jeffrey Dicorpo, Mohamed K. Kassem, Michael S. Wishart and Mohamed A. Shalan, "Systems and methods for assembling and developing an SoC efficiently using templates and designer input data," US 2020/0159981 A1.
- Emmanuel Petit, Mohamed Shalan, and Irfan Ahmad, “Power System Optimization and Verification for Embedded System Design,” US 2012/0017100 A1.
- Emmanuel Petit and Mohamed Shalan, “Power Profiling for Embedded System Design,” US 2012/0016606 A1.
- PhD in computer engineering, The Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta, United States, 2003
- MSc in computer engineering, Ain Shams University, Cairo, Egypt, 1997
- BSc in computer and systems engineering (First Class Honors), Ain Shams University, Cairo, Egypt, 1993
- Electronics Design Automation
- Digital Hardware
- Hardware and Software Codesign for Embedded Systems
- Internet of Things (IoT)
- Energy-efficient computing systems