Maki Habib obtained his Doctor of Engineering Sciences (DES) in Intelligent and Autonomous Robotics from the University of Tsukuba in 1990, Japan. He was a selected research scientist at RIKEN, Japan, and senior researcher at RISO-Laboratories, Japan, and visiting researcher at EPFL, Switzerland. He was a visiting expert under Asian Development Bank (ADB), Associate Professor at UTM, Malaysia, and a Senior Manager at MCRIA for engineering projects and industrial consultation, Malaysia. He was a leading senior research scientist with GMD-Japan, Japan leading Telecooperation research group. Associate Professor with Monash University (Australia/Malaysia), he developed and led the Mechatronics Engineering program. He was appointed as a full Professor of Robotics and Mechatronics at Swinburne University (Australia/Malaysia). Then, he was an invited Professor at KAIST, South Korea, Residing Professor at Saga University, Japan, and since Sept. 2007 he is a full Professor of Robotics and Mechatronics at AUC. Habib was a visiting professor (short term) at many Universities around the world, such as, Nagasaki University-Japan, Hokkoido University-Japan, Orebro University – Sweden, Norwegian University of Science and Technology – Norway, etc. Habib served as a consultant and Technical advisor to well-known international companies including Toyota group and ABB.
Habib is Editor-in-Chief of the International Journal of Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning, Regional Editor and Associate Editor of 10 International Journals, and Editorial Board member of another 10 International Journals beside his leadership as a member of international organizing/program committee of more than 20 International Conference every year.
Habib edited more than 14 books, published more than 26 book chapters and also more than 275 papers at international journals and international conferences.
- MAKI K. HABIB (ed.), “Handbook of Research on Advanced Mechatronic Systems and Intelligent Robotics”, IGI Global, USA, 2019.
- MAKI K. HABIB (ed.), “Handbook of Research on Advanced Robotics and Intelligent Automation in Manufacturing”, IGI Global, USA, 2019.
- MAKI K. HABIB (ed.), “Revolutionizing Education in the Age of AI and Machine Learning”, IGI global, USA, 2019.
- MAKI K. HABIB (ed.), “Handbook of Research on the Evolution of IT and the Rise of E-Society”, IGI Global, USA, 2018.
- MAKI K. HABIB (ed.), “Advanced Online Education and Training Technologies”, IGI Global, USA, 2018.
- MAKI K. HABIB (ed.), “Handbook of Research on Investigations in Artificial Life Research and Development”, IGI Global, USA, 2018.
- MAKI K. HABIB (ed.), “Handbook of Research on Biomimetics and Biomedical Robotics”, IGI Global, 2017.
- MAKI K. HABIB (ed.), “Handbook of Research on Advancements in Robotics and Mechatronics (2 Vols.)”, IGI Global, 2015.
- MAKI K. HABIB and J PAULO DAVIM (eds.), Interdisciplinary Mechatronics: Engineering Science Research Development”, Wiley-ISTE, May 2013.
- MAKI K. HABIB, and J PAULO DAVIM (eds.), “Engineering Creative Design in Robotics and Mechatronics”, IGI Global, June 2013.
- BAUDOIN YVAN and MAKI K. HABIB (eds.), “Using Robots in Hazardous Environments: Landmine detection, de-mining and other applications”, Woodhead Publishing Limited, Jan 2011.
- MAKI K. HABIB (ed.), “Humanitarian Demining, Innovative Solutions and the Challenges of Technology", ARS Publisher, Feb. 2008.
- MAKI K. HABIB (ed.), “Bioinspiration and Robotics: Walking and Climbing Robots”, ARS and I-TECH Publishers, September 2007.
- F. Nagata, K. Watanabe and Maki K. Habib, Machining Robot with Vibrational Motion and 3D Printer-Like Data Interface, International Journal of Automation and Computing, Vol. 15, No. 1, pp. 1-12, Springer, February 2018.
- Z. Lu, F. Nagata, K. Watanabe, Maki K, Habib, “iOS Application for Quadrotor UAV Remote Control - Implementation of Basic Functions with iPhone,” Artificial Life and Robotics, Vol. 22, No. 3, pp. 374-379, Springer, 2017.
- Bayat, B., Bermejo-Alonso, J., Carbonera, J., Facchinetti, T., Fiorini, S., Goncalves, P., Jorge, V. A.,, Maki Habib, etc. “Requirements for building an ontology for autonomous robots”, ,Industrial Robot: An International Journal, Vol. 43, No. 5, PP. 469 – 480, Emerald Group Publishing, 2016.
- Nagata, F., Otsuka, A., Watanabe, K. and Maki K. Habib, “Machining robot for foamed polystyrene materials using fuzzy feed rate controller,” International Journal of Mechatronics and Automation, Vol. 5, No. 1, pp. 34-43, Inderscience Publishers, UK, March. 2015.
- Nagata, F., Yoshitake, S., Otsuka, A., Watanabe,K. and Maki K. Habib, CAM System for Robotic Servo Controller without Using Robot Language, Robotics and Computer Integrated Manufacturing, Vol. 29, No. 2, pp. 454-462, 2013.
- Haidegger T., Barreto M., Paulo Goncalves P., Maki K. Habib, Ragavan, V., Howard Li, Vaccarella A., Roberta Perrone R., Prestes E., “Applied Ontologies and Standards for Service Robots,” International Journal of Robotics and Autonomous Systems, Vol. 61, No. 11, pp. 1215 – 1223, Nov. 2013.
- Prestes, E., Carbonera, J. L., Fiorini, S. R., Jorge, V. A., Abel, M., Madhavan, R., Locoro, A., Paulo Goncalves, P., Barreto, M. E., Maki K. Habib, Chibani, A., Gerard, S., Amirat, Y., and Schlenoff, C., “Towards a Core Ontology for Robotics and Automation,” International Journal of Robotics and Autonomous Systems, Vol. 61, No. 11, pp. 1193 – 1204, Nov. 2013.
- Banik, S. C., Gupta, A. K. S, Maki K. Habib and Mousumi, R. N., “Determination of Active Personal Space Based on Emotion when Interacting with a Service Robot.” International Journal of Advanced Robotics Systems, Vol. 10, pp. 167:, 2013.
- Maki K. Habib and Baudoin, Y. “Rescue and Hazardous Intervention Robotics”, International Journal of industrial Robot, Vol. 39, Issue 5, Special issue, April, 2012. Pp. 423 – 427.
- Maki K Habib, Watanabe, K. and Nagata, F., “Bioinspiration and New Trends in Actuators”, Journal of Artificial Life and Robotics, presented in part and Selected from AROB 2012 as journal paper, Volume 17, Issue 2, December 2012, Springer, pp. 191-196.
- Buddhika, A. G., Jayasekara, P., Watanabe, K., Maki K. Habib, and Izumi, K., ‘Visual Evaluation and Fuzzy Voice Commands for Controlling a Robot Manipulator’, International Journal of Mechatronics and Manufacturing Systems, Vol. 3, No. 3, 2010, pp. 244 -260.
- Izumi, K., Maki K. Habib, Watanabe, K., and Sato, R., “Behavior Selection Based Navigation and Obstacle Avoidance Approach Using Visual and Ultrasonic Sensory Information for Quadruped Robots”, International Journal of Advanced Robotic Systems, Vol. 5. No.4, Dec. 2008, pp. 379-388.
- Maki K. Habib, “Interdisciplinary Mechatronics: Problem Solving, Creative Thinking and Concurrent Design Synergy”, International Journal of Mechatronics and Manufacturing Systems (IJMMS), Inderscience Publisher, Vol.1, No.1, 2008, pp. 264-269.
- Maki K. Habib, and Inayat-Hussain, J. I., “Nonlinear Dynamics and Fuzzy Logic Based Control for Suppressing Non-synchronous Rotor response in Active Magnetic Bearings,” The Journal of Machine Intelligence and Robotic Control (MICROC), Vol. 6, No.3, 2004 (Appeared May 2007), pp. 87-99.
- Tan, C. P. and Maki K. Habib, “The Development of Fault Tolerant Control Scheme and its Implementation on a Flexible arm Robot”, Journal of Advanced Robotics, International Science Publisher, Vol. 21, No. 8, 2007, pp. 887–904.
- Maki K. Habib, “Fiber Grating Based Vision System for Real Time Tracking, Monitoring and Obstacle Detection”, IEEE Sensor Journal, Vol. 7, No. 1, Jan. 2007, pp. 105-121.
- Maki K. Habib, “Mechatronics: A Unifying Interdisciplinary and Intelligent Engineering Paradigm”, IEEE Industrial Electronics Magazine, Vol. 1, Issue 2, Sumer 2007, pp. 12-24.
- Tan, C. P. and Maki K. Habib, “Robust sensor fault reconstruction applied in real-time to an inverted pendulum”, Journal of Mechatronics, Elsevier Publisher, Vol. 17, No. 7, 2007, pp. 368-380.
- Maki K. Habib, Fusaomi Nagata, Bioinspired Design: Creativity and Sustainability, Procs.of 20th International Conference on Research and Education in Mechatronics 2019 (REM2019), Wels Austria, May 2019
- Maki K. Habib, Nagata, F., Smart Manufacturing and Intelligent Robotics: The Evolution of Industry 4.0, Procs. of 24th International Symposium on Artificial Life and Robotics, pp. 797-801, 2019.
- Nagata, F., Tokuno, K., Watanabe, K. and Maki K. Habib, Defect Detection Using Deep Convolutional Neural Networks, Support Vector Machines and Template Matching Techniques, Abstracts of 2019 International Conference on Soft Computing & Machine Learning(SCML2019), 2 pages, April 26th-29th, Wuhan, China, 2019.
- Abdelaziz, M. and Maki K. Habib, “Design and Control of Electromagnetic System Navigating micro/nano Robots,” Procs.of 20th International Conference on Research and Education in Mechatronics 2019 (REM2019), Wels Austria, May 2019
- Maki K. Habib and Chimsom, C., “Industry 4.0: Sustainability and Design Principles, “ Procs.of 20th International Conference on Research and Education in Mechatronics 2019 (REM2019), Wels Austria, May 2019.
- Chimsom, C and Maki K. Habib, “Design of a Two-Tier WSN-based IoT Surveillance System with Cloud Integration” Procs.of 20th International Conference on Research and Education in Mechatronics 2019 (REM2019), Wels Austria, May 2019.
- Elhennawy, A. M. and Maki K Habib, Nonlinear Robust Control of a Quadcopter: Implementation and Evaluation, IECON 2018-44th Annual Conference of the IEEE Industrial Electronics Society, Washington D.C., pp. 3782-3787, October 2018.
- Hashem, R. and Maki K Habib, Robotized Early Plant Health Monitoring System, IECON 2018-44th Annual Conference of the IEEE Industrial Electronics Society, Washington D.C., pp. 3795-3800, October 2018.
- Nagata, F., Seda, Y., Hamada, K., Suzuki, S., Otsuka, A., Ikeda, T., Ochi, H., Watanabe, K., Maki K. Habib and Kusano, T., “ Outline Font Handler for Industrial Robots,” Procs. The 2018 IEEE International Conference on Mechatronics and Automation (ICMA 2018), pp. 1823-1828, Changchun, China, August 2018.
- Nagata, F., Tokuno, K., Watanabe, K., Maki K. Habib, Design Application of Deep Convolutional Neural Network for Vision-Based Defect Inspection, Procs. 2018 IEEE International Conference on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics, Miyazaki, pp. 1705-1710, Oct. 2018.
- Abouelsoud, K. M. and Maki K. Habib, A Fuzzy Gain Scheduled Controller for Quadcopters, Procs. of the 43th Annual Conference of the IEEE Industrial Electronics Society (IECON 2017), pp. 6241-6246, China National Convention Center, Beijing, China, 2017.
- Elhennawy, A. and Maki K. Habib, Trajectory Tracking of a Quadcopter Flying Vehicle using Sliding Mode Control, Procs. of the 43th Annual Conference of the IEEE Industrial Electronics Society (IECON 2017), pp. 6264 - 6269, China National Convention Center, Beijing, China, 2017.
- MENG 3705: System Dynamics
- MENG 4756: Automatic Control systems
- MENG 4757: Robotics: Design, Analysis and Control
- MENG 4778: Microprocessors in Mechatronics
- MENG 4779: Integrated Design of Electro-Mechanical Systems
- MENG 5255: Analysis and Design of Dynamic Systems
- RCSS 5201: Robotics: Kinematic, Dynamics and Control
- RCSS 5203: Modern Control Design
- RCSS 5221: Intelligent and Autonomous robotics Systems
- RCSS 5231: Teleoperation, Haptic Systems and Collaborative Control
- RCSS 5233: Nonlinear and Adaptive Control
- Intelligent and Autonomous Robotics, Autonomous Vehicles
- Biomedical and Bioinspired Robotics
- AI and Machine Learning
- Flying Robotics, Nonlinear and Intelligent Control
- Human Adaptive and Friendly Mechatronics
- Robotics and Humanitarian Demining
- Distributed Teleoperation and Collaborative Control
- Industry 4.0, Intelligent sensors systems, Wireless Sensor Networks and Ambient Intelligence
- Industrial Robots and Automation