Maher Younan received his BSc and MSc in mechanical engineering from Cairo University (1969, 1972 respectively), and his PhD in engineering mechanics from the University of Tennessee, (1975). His dissertation was titled, "Fracture Mechanics of Weldments using Finite Element Analysis."
Younan has joined the Department of Mechanical Engineering at AUC since 1993. He has been the associate dean for undergraduate studies, School of Sciences and Engineering from January 2011 to August 2016. He was also the chair of the Department of Mechanical Engineering from September 2006 until August 2010. He was the head of the engineering unit from 1995 to 1999.
He has taught undergraduate and graduate courses in the areas of mechanics of materials, stress analysis, machine design, finite elements, design of pressure vessels and piping systems, quality by design, a design of engineering systems, and advanced stress analysis. He is also the coordinator of the American Society for Mechanical Engineers ASME-AUC program, a collaboration in which AUC has been authorized by ASME to deliver their courses in Egypt and the Middle East. Younan has been the principal investigator in several externally funded research projects and consultation work.
Younan is an ASME Fellow and has been a member of the American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME)-Pressure Vessels and Piping Division (PVPD) since 2011. In 2017, he was the Chair of the ASME-PVP 2017 conference held in Hawaii. He is currently the chair of the PVP division.
- Tarek M.A.A. EL-Bagory, Maher Y.A. Younan, “Crack Growth Behavior of Pipes Made from Polyvinyl Chloride Pipe Material,” Journal of Pressure Vessel Technology (PVT-15-1255), 139(1), 011404 doi: 10.1115/1.4033124 Jan. 2017, also presented at the ASME-PVP 2015, (PVP2015-45657), July 19-24, 2015 Boston, USA
- T. M. A. EL-Bagory, M. Y.A. Younan, H.E.M. Sallam, “Effect of Specimen Geometry on the Mechanical Behavior of Polyethylene Pipe Material,” Journal of Pressure Vessel Technology (PVT- 14-1049), Dec. 2015, also presented at the ASME-PVP 2014, (PVP2014-28401) Anaheim California, July 20-24, 2014
- Seleem, A., M. Mortada, E. M. Morsi, and M. Younan, "Parametric Study of Vertical Diffusion Still for Water Desalination", World Academy of Science, Engineering and Technology International Journal of Mechanical, Aerospace, Industrial and Mechatronics Engineering Vol:9, No:2, 2015, also presented at ICEERET 2015: XIII International Conference on Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy Technologies, Barcelona, Spain, February, 26-27, 2015
- Hafiz YF, Younan MA, Abdalla HF. A Proposal for a Simplified Assessment Procedure to API-579 Standard. ASME. J. Pressure Vessel Technol. 2015;137 (3):031007-031007-8. doi:10.1115/1.4028425.
- Mortada, M., A. Seleem, E. M. Morsi, and M. Younan, "Experimental Performance of Vertical Diffusion Stills Utilizing Folded Sheets for Water Desalination", presented at ICDRE 2015: XIII International Conference on Desalination and Renewable Energy, Copenhagen, Denmark, June 11 - 12, 2015
- M. Gabr, M.Y.A. Younan, A. ElBaz, “Fluid Structure Interaction in Pressure Reducing Orifice”, presented at the ASME-PVP 2014, (PVP2014-29110) Anaheim California, July 20-24, 2014
- Mostafa S. El-Saadany, Maher Y. A. Younan, and, Hany F. Abdalla, “Determination of Shakedown Boundary and Failure-Assessment-Diagrams of Cracked Pipe Bends”, Journal of Pressure Vessel Technology (JPVT-13-1003), Feb. 2014 vol. 136/1 p.11209, also presented at ASME-PVP (PVP 2012-78320) July 15-19, Toronto, Canada
- Hany F. Abdalla, Maher Y. A. Younan, and Mohammad M. Megahed, “Shakedown analysis of a Cylindrical Vessel–nozzle Intersection Subjected to Steady Internal Pressures and Cyclic out–of–plane Bending Moments”, ASME-PVP 2012-78674 July 15-19, Toronto, Canada
- T. M. A. EL-Bagory, M. Y.A. Younan, H.E.M. Sallam, and L. A. Abdel- Latif, “Effect of Strain Rate, Thickness, Welding on the J-R Curve for Polyethylene Pipe Materials”, ASME-PVP 2012-78587 July 15-19, Toronto, Canada
- Youssef A. F. Hafiz, Maher Y. A. Younan, and, Hany F. Abdalla, “Limit & Shakedown Loads Determination for Locally Thinned Wall Pipe Branch Connection Subjected to Pressure and Bending Moments”, ASME-PVP 2012-78331 July 15-19, Toronto, Canada
- Hany F. Abdalla, Mohammad M. Megahed, and Maher Y.A. Younan, “Shakedown Limits of a 90-Degree Pipe Bend Using Small and Large Displacement Formulations” ASME J. of Pressure Vessel Technology v.129 No. 2, 2007, p. 287-295 and presented at ASME- PVP 2006 Conf., July 23-28, 2006, Vancouver, Canada
- Chair, American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME) – Pressure Vessels and Piping Division (PVPD) Senate Operations Committee (SOC) (2019-2020)
- Chair, American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME) – Pressure Vessels and Piping Division (PVPD) (2017-2018)
- Chair, American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME) – Pressure Vessels and Piping (PVP) 2017 conference held in Waikoloa, Hawaii, July 16-19, 2017
- Fellow, American Society of Mechanical Engineering (ASME). (since 2011)
- Technical Program Chair, Executive Committee member of the ASME-PVPD (2015-2016)
- Professional Development Chair, Executive Committee member of the ASME-PVPD (2012-2018)
- Associate Editor of the ASME Journal of Pressure Vessel Technology (Jan. 2006- 2012)
- Received the “ASME Dedicated Services Award”, 2011
- Received the “AUC Dedicated Service Award”, 2018
- Received the “Journal of Pressure Vessel Technology (JPVT) Editor’s Choice Award” (2006)
- Received the “Thomas A. Jaeger” prize (2005)
- Received the “Outstanding Paper Award in the Design and Analysis” (2003)
- Received the “G.E.O. Widera Literature Award” for the year 2003
- Received the “Outstanding Paper Award in the Design and Analysis” (2000)
- Received the “ASME-PVP Outstanding Paper Award” (1998)
- Reviewer for promotions and national prizes for the Canada Research Chairs Program (2002-2010), Strathclyde University, and Penn State University (2006-2010), and for National Universities (1995-present)
- Reviewer for scientific publications internationally and locally
- Supervised many PhD and MSc students until graduation
- Failure analysis of structures with special emphasis on pressure vessels and piping
- Nonlinear analysis of structures
- Mechanical and thermal analysis of folded structures
- Nonlinear finite element modeling of the welding process, and superplastic materials behavior