Senior Specialist, Resource Sharing and Collections. Main Library
Reports to: Cataloging, Manager
Purpose: This position will provide essential service to AUC research through co-supplying and co-maintaining the ILL/document delivery service and will assist the collections department in maintaining the highest quality of scholarly resources for teaching excellence and research innovation. The position will also assist the discoverability of library resources by applying all international cataloging standards.
- Communicates ILL/document delivery policies to patrons
- Is conversant with copyright law relating to Interlibrary Loan
- Uses Iliad, an electronic Interlibrary Loan module, to process and follow up on patrons’ requests
- Uses Odyssey, a document delivery software for sending and receiving documents electronically as well as distributing materials in hard copy
- Searches creatively open access resources as an alternative content source
- Performs bibliographic searching in online catalogs/databases
- Implements and participates in collections projects as directed by the supervisor or the director for collections
- Liaises with Library faculty and staff as required while implementing projects
- Responsible for the original/copy descriptive cataloging and classification of library materials in print format (excluding serials)
- Follows the USMARC 21 record format rules for encoding fixed and variable fields in the MARC record
- Responsible for cataloging online bibliographic records in various languages in the shared OCLC database World Cat
- Keeps up to date with current cataloging standards and rules
- Understands basic principles of authority control and authority maintenance process
- Provides monthly statistical and activities reports
- Provides references services in the library commons as rostered
- Performs any other related tasks as assigned by the supervisor
Minimum Education Requirement:
- University degree is required, preferably in Library and Information Science
- Five years of related work experience with, preferably, a minimum of two years’ experience in a library or in a library setting with specific experience with library systems equivalent to innovative interfaces.
- Excellent knowledge and comprehension of English and Arabic (written and spoken)
- Strong service-oriented attitude
- Ability to communicate effectively, patiently and courteously with patrons
- Knowledge of library and research processes
- Awareness of the ethical responsibilities in relation to patron privacy
- Documented experience in project management within a workplace
- Demonstrated ability to manage workflows and meet deadlines
- Organizational and time management skills necessary
- Accuracy and meticulous attention to details and ability to focus
- Ability to work independently and in a team environment
- Understanding of the cataloging of resources and electronic resources specific to the cataloging function
- Knowledge of name, subject, uniform title, and series authority records
- Proficiency in Word, Excel, email, internet searching, and specific task-related software.
The position is open until March 31, 2020
Placement is based on the candidate’s experience and skills. Only candidates who make it to the shortlist will be contacted.
If interested, send an updated and detailed resume to firstname.lastname@example.org, stating “Senior Specialist,
Resource Sharing and Collections” in the subject line.
“We thank all individuals who have expressed interest in working at The American University in Cairo.”