Amal Esawi is the associate dean for graduate studies and research and the director of the PhD program at the School of Sciences and Engineering.
Esawi is a professor of mechanical engineering specializing in advanced materials. She obtained both her BSc in mechanical engineering and MSc in materials engineering from AUC. Upon completing her PhD in materials engineering from the University of Cambridge, she worked for 5 years as a research associate with the renowned materials professor Mike Ashby at the Engineering Design Centre of Cambridge University Engineering Department. She joined AUC in 2001 upon returning back to Egypt. Esawi received the Egyptian National Award in Engineering Sciences in 2009, which is granted annually by the Egyptian Academy of Scientific Research and Technology in recognition of outstanding research achievements nationwide. She also received the AUC Excellence in Research Endeavors award in the same year. Esawi is one of the founding members of the Yousef Jameel Science and Technology Research Center. Her research interests are in the field of nanocomposites with a particular interest in developing light and strong materials for structural applications, as well as membranes for filtration and desalination applications. She is a reviewer for several international journals in the field of nanocomposites.
On the professional level, she is a chartered engineer registered with the engineering council in the United Kingdom, the first female chartered mechanical engineer in Egypt - and is a member of the UK’s institution of mechanical engineers (IMechE). She is a member of the Presidential Specialized Council for Education and Scientific Research, which is mandated to advise the Egyptian President on issues related to education and scientific research.
Amal M. K. Esawi and Mahmoud M. Farag, “Chapter 12. Polymer Nanotube Composites: Latest Challenges and Applications”, in Polymer Nanotube Nanocomposites: Synthesis, Properties, and Applications, Second Edition (ed V. Mittal), John Wiley & Sons, Inc., Hoboken, NJ, USA, November 2014
Papers in peer-reviewed journals
- Ehab I Salama, Aya Abbas, AMK Esawi, Preparation and Properties of Dual-Matrix Carbon Nanotube-Reinforced Aluminum Composites, Composites Part A: Applied Science and Manufacturing, Volume 99, August 2017, Pages 84–93.
- Amal M. K. Esawi and Nesma T. Aboulkhair, Bi-modally structured pure aluminum for enhanced strength and ductility, Materials & Design, Volume 83, 15 October 2015, Pages 493–498
- Mohamed T. Z. Hassan, Amal M. K. Esawi and Sayed Metwalli, Effect of carbon nanotube damage on the mechanical properties of aluminium - carbon nanotube composites, Journal of Alloys and Compounds, Volume 607, 15 September 2014, Pages 215-222.
- Nouran El Badawi, Adham R. Ramadan, Amal M.K. Esawi, Mohamed El Morsi, “Novel carbon nanotube–cellulose acetate nanocomposite membranes for water filtration applications”, Desalination, Volume 344, 1 July 2014, Pages 79-85.
- Mina Bastwros, Amal Esawi, and Abdulla Wifi, “Friction and wear behavior of Al-CNT composites”, Wear, 307 (2013) 164–173.
- A.M.K. Esawi, K. Morsi, A. Sayed, M. Taher, S. Lanka, "The influence of carbon nanotube (CNT) morphology and diameter on the processing and properties of CNT-reinforced aluminium composites", Composites Part A: Applied Science and Manufacturing, Volume 42, Issue 3, March 2011, Pages 234-243.
- Ahmed Abdel Gawad, Amal M. K. Esawi and Adham R. Ramadan, “Structure and properties of nylon 6 Clay nanocomposites: Effect of temperature and reprocessing”, Journal of Materials Science, Volume 45 (2010), Number 24, 6677-6684.
- K. Morsi, A.M.K. Esawi, P. Borah, S. Lanka, A. Sayed, M. Taher, "Properties of Single and Dual Matrix Aluminium-Carbon Nanotube Composites Processed via Spark Plasma Extrusion (SPE)", Materials Science & Engineering A, A 527 (2010) 5686–5690.
- Amal Esawi, Khaled Morsi, Ahmed Sayed and Mohamed Taher, “Effect of carbon nanotube (CNT) Content on the Mechanical Properties of CNT-Reinforced Aluminium Composites", Composites Science and Technology, Volume 70, Issue 16, 31 December 2010, Pages 2237-2241.
- K. Morsi, A.M.K. Esawi, P. Borah, S. Lanka, A. Sayed, ” Characterization and spark plasma sintering of mechanically milled Aluminum- Carbon Nanotube (CNT) composite powders”, Journal of Composite Materials, 44 (16) 2010, 1991-2003.
- Adham R. Ramadan, Amal M. K. Esawi and Ahmed Abdel Gawad, “Effect of ball milling on the structure of Na+-montmorillonite and organo-montmorillonite (Cloisite 30B) ", Applied Clay Science, Volume 47, Issues 3-4, February 2010, Pages 196-202.
- K. Morsi, A.M.K. Esawi, S. Lanka, A. Sayed, M. Taher, ” Spark plasma extrusion (SPE) of ball-milled aluminum and carbon nanotube reinforced aluminum composite powders ”, Composites Part A: Applied Science and Manufacturing, Volume 41, Issue 2, February 2010, Pages 322-326.
- M. K. Esawi, H. G. Salem, H. M. Hussein and A. R. Ramadan, “Effect of Processing Technique on the Dispersion of Carbon Nanotubes within Polypropylene Carbon Nanotube-Composites and its effect on their Mechanical Properties”, Polymer Composites, 31 (5) (2010), 772-780
Abstracts or papers in proceedings of international conferences
- M. Mahmoud, A. R. Ramadan and A. M. K. Esawi, A Study on the Modification of Cellulose Acetate Membranes with Graphene Oxide Nanofillers for Water Treatment, Proceedings of the Nanotech France 2017 International Conference, Paris, France, June 28 – 30, 2017
- Ahmed O. Rashed, Amal M.K. Esawi, and Adham R. Ramadan, Synthesis of Polysulfone/Polyamide thin film composite membranes for Forward Osmosis applications, International Congress on Membranes and Membrane Processes, ICOM 2017, 29 July – 4 August 2017, San Francisco, CA, United States.
- K. El-Rafei, A. Esawi, O. Tobail and A. Klingner, Aluminum-Carbon Nanotube Nanocomposite for Silicon Solar Cell Back Metallization, NanoMaterials for Energy and Environment - NanMatEn 2016, Nanotech France 2016, June 1-3, 2016, Paris, France (abstract only).
- Esawi, A. K., A. R. Ramadan, and R. ElNur (2015), "Carbon Nanotube Bucky Papers with Tailored Porosity for Filtration Applications," TechConnect World Innovation Conference, Washington DC, June 2015.
- Ramadan, A. R., A. K. Esawi, N. El-Badawi, and M. Mahmoud (2015), "Cellulose Acetate Nanocomposite Membranes for Water Desalination Applications," TechConnect World Innovation Conference, Washington DC, June 2015.
- El Badawi, N., Ramadan, A. R., Esawi, A. K., Dumee, L., El-Morsi, M. S., "CNTs-Cellulose Acetate Mixed Matrix Membranes for Filtration Applications," The 8th International Conference in Challenges in Environmental Science & Engineering (CESE), 28 Sep. to 2 Oct. 2015, Sydney, Australia. September 28, 2015.
- Nourhan Mansour, Adham R. Ramadan, Amal M.K. Esawi, “Carbon nanotube-polyamide membranes by phase inversion”, The 10th International Congress on Membranes and Membrane Processes, (ICOM 2014), July 20 -25, Suzhou, China (poster).
- AR Ramadan, AMK Esawi, A Abdel-Hafiz, C Charmette, A Ayral, Ethylene Vinyl Acetate-Cloisite Nanocomposite Membranes and their Gas Separation Behavior, Technical Proceedings of the 2014 NSTI Nanotechnology Conference and Expo, NSTI-Nanotech 2014, 1, pp. 332-335.
- AMK Esawi, E Salama, Y Ibrahim, “Novel Aluminum-CNT composites for structural applications”, Technical Proceedings of the 2014 NSTI Nanotechnology Conference and Expo, NSTI-Nanotech 2014, 1, pp. 373-
- Mina Bastwros, Amal M. K. Esawi and Abdulla Wifi, “Tribological behaviour of dual matrix Al-CNT composites”, Proceedings of the JSME/ASME 2014 International Conference on Materials and Processing (ICMP2014), June 9-13, 2014, Detroit, Michigan, USA.
- AMK Esawi, "Fabrication and properties of Aluminium-Carbon nanotubes composites," Symposium: Impact of nanocomposites in Industrial Applications, Universidad Nacional de Colombia and Universidad Pontificia Bolivariana, Medellin, Colombia. September 23, 2013, Invited keynote speaker.
- Ihab Salama and Amal Esawi, “Fracture Toughness of Aluminium-Carbon Nanotube composites” presented at IV ECCOMAS Thematic Conference on the Mechanical Response of Composites (Composites2013), September 25-27, 2013, Azores, Portugal.
- N.A.A. El Badawi, A.R. Ramadan, A.M.K. Esawi, M. El-Morsi “Preparation of carbon nanotubes – cellulose acetate membranes with enhanced water permeation”, the 8th International Membrane Science & Technology Conference (IMSTEC 2013), Melbourne, Australia, 2013.
- Ali Abdel Hafiz, Adham Ramadan and Amal Esawi, “Effect of preparation conditions on the morphology and mechanical behavior of EVA-Na+ nanocomposites”, Nano Studies Journal, Proceedings of ICANM 2013: International Conference & Exhibition on Advanced & Nano Materials, August 12-14, 2013 , Quebec (QC) Canada.
- Amal Esawi, Khaled Morsi, Ihab Salama, Hany Saleeb, “Processing Challenges of Dual-Matrix Carbon Nanotube Aluminum Composites”, proceedings of "Randall M. German Honorary Symposium on Sintering and Powder-Based Materials “,TMS Spring Conference, March 2012, Orlando, Florida, USA.
- Radwa R. Abdel Chafy, Mustafa H. Arafa, and Amal M. K. Esawi, "Fabrication of Carbon Nanotube/Low Density Polyethylene Composites for Strain-Sensing". International Conference for Materials and Applications for Sensors and Transducers, ICMAST-2011, (May 13th - May 17th, 2011), Kos Island, Greece.
- Mohamed Taher, Amal Esawi and Sayed Metwalli, “The Effect of Ball Milling On The Structure Of Carbon Nanotubes (CNT)”, the 21st European Conference on Diamond, Diamond – Like Materials, Carbon Nanotubes and Nitrides, 5th - 9th September 2010, Budapest, Hungary (poster).
- Ahmed Abdel Gawad and Amal Esawi (2010), “Mechanical Properties of Carbon Nanotube (CNT) - Aluminium Composites by Nanoindentation”, Nanomeasure 2010, 3-4 June, Krakow, Poland (poster).
- ENGR 229/2112 Strength and Testing of Materials
- MENG 327/3207 Engineering Materials
- MENG 339/3209 Fundamentals of Manufacturing Processes
- MENG 428/4208 Selection of Materials & Processes for Design
- MENG 429/4229 Nanostructured materials
- MENG 497/4950 Industrial Training
- ENGR 522/5222 Materials in Design & Manufacturing
- ENGR 590/5940 Graduate Thesis Seminar
- Carbon Nanotube Aluminium Composites
- Clay Nanocomposites
- Nanocomposites for dental applications
- Membrane materials
- Material Selection/Substitution
- Manufacturing Process Selection
- Cost Estimation for Early Stages of Design