Artan Karini is an assistant professor in the Department of Public Policy and Administration, School of Global Affairs and Public Policy (GAPP) at AUC. His research and teaching have broadly focused on global governance through aid institutions and their modalities in promoting best practice in administrative reform mainly in non-OECD country contexts. Prior to joining GAPP, he held various positions in academic and research organizations in Canada, the United Kingdom, the United States and Southeast Europe and also engaged in development consulting through OSI, CIVICUS, NUFFIC/CORDAID and USAID. A former Fulbright scholar, he earned his MPA from the University of Pittsburgh and his doctorate in development policy and management from the University of Manchester. He also holds a professional designation in advanced human resources from Queen's University (Kingston), an affiliation with EUCAnet (a network of EU and European experts in Canada) and an adjunct research professorship with the Institute for European, Russian and Eurasian Studies, Carleton University (Ottawa).
- Karini, A. (2018), 25 Years in Transition: The Role of International Aid in Administrative Reform in Post-Communist Albania, Palgrave Macmillan (manuscript accepted).
Peer-reviewed journal articles
Karini, A. and Stauffer, H. (2019), Dilemmas of ethical and value-oriented management: an exploratory overview of organizational management practices at Effective Altruism Geneva (EAGe), Nonprofit Management and Leadership (under review);
Karini, A. (2017), Facilitators and Constraints of Policy Learning for Administrative Reform in the Western Balkans, Journal of Public Administration and Policy (NISPAcee), Volume X, Number 2, Winter 2017/18, 73-92.
Karini, A. (2016), Coordination Without Effectiveness? A Critique of the Paris Agenda in the Experience of Development Aid in Albania, European Journal of Development Research (Springer), 28: 741,doi:10.1057/ejdr.2015.28
- Karini, A. (2013), Aid-Supported Public Service Reform and Capacity Development in Post-Communist Albania, International Journal of Public Administration (Routledge), 36:7, 469-481.
- Karini, A. (2014), The Bumpy Road to EU and the Impact of Donor Programs on Public Administration Reform: Perspectives from Southeast Europe. Canada-Europe Transatlantic Dialogue, Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council of Canada (SSHRC), Democracy and Governance Policy Briefs Series, Carleton University.
- Karini, A. (2009), Building Citizen Centered Policy-Making - Global Perspectives and Best Practices. Open Society Institute (OSI) Think-Tank Fund for Policy Centers: Institute for Democracy and Mediation.
- PPAD 500/5201 Research Methods for Public Policy and Administration
- PPAD 598/5298 Research Seminar
- PPAD 534/5156 Comparative Bilateral Cooperation for Development
- PPAD 570/5199 Civil Society: Concepts and Contexts (Special Topics)
- PPAD 525/5127 Reforming Delivery of Public Services
- PPAD 517/5126 Management of Non-Profit Organizations
- PPAD 575/5175 Independent Study in Public Policy and Administration
- PPAD 500/5299 Research Guidance
- MPA Program Director (2016-2018)
- Academic Affairs Committee, member
- Departmental Research Committee, member (alternate)
- Jameel Fellowship selection committee, member
- ICAPA/EAPAA Accreditation Committee, member
- NASPAA-Batten Simulation Competition, Technical Adviser
- Special Editorial Committee, Inaugural Policy Brief Series, GAPP
- AUC Graduate Advisory Committee, member
Successful defenses: Ismail, M. (May '17); El Zoughby , K. (August '17); Ali, S. Sayed (Jan. '18).
- Administrative reform
- Public policy theory
- EU acquis
- Aid effectiveness
- International HRM