Types of Employment
Types of Employment
Within the context of current Egyptian labor law, its provisions and the University’s personnel policies, appointments at the University can be filled through one of the following ways shown below.
Fixed-term appointment is a contract of definite duration that ends automatically with the end of the contract and may be renewed for further terms without becoming indefinite in duration.
Project and Grant Appointment
Project appointment is an appointment for a definite term to carry out a specific task, which is normally funded externally. This appointment can be on a full-time or part-time basis and continues for a specified period or for the duration of the project. This temporary contract may be renewed as long as funding has been secured.
Appointment by Secondment
Appointment by secondment is the temporary appointment for a specific period of time of an employee who works at an organization other than AUC.
Secondment can be on a full-time or part-time basis depending on the needs of the vacant position. Written approval of the employee’s original employer is required for a secondment position. Renewal of this contract is not automatic. The appointment is contingent on the University’s position, the approval of the original employer for the new duration of the appointment and the acceptance of the seconded employee. Any subsequent contract remains as an appointment by secondment for the approved duration.
Under some circumstances, a regular full-time position may be shared by two regular part-time employees by splitting accountabilities.
Terms and conditions of a contract for shared regular positions are as follows:
- Working hours: Hours are equivalent to 50 percent of regular full-time hours. Scheduling is set by the supervisor according to operational requirements.
- Salary: Pay is equivalent to 50 percent of the gross salary that would normally be assigned to the jobholder and is based on job level, salary range and individual qualifications of the employee.
- Social insurance: The employer’s and the employee’s share of social insurance (national plan or FICA) are based on the actual salary of the jobholder and is paid according to the relevant law(s).
- Leave entitlement: The employee is entitled to half the number of days that would have been assigned should he or she have filled the same job on a regular full-time basis.
- Group life insurance: Premium is paid by the University based on the actual salary of the jobholder
- Retirement benefit: Subscription to the relevant retirement plan is based on the individual salary of the jobholder and is paid according to the University policy. (The University’s share is 10.8 percent and the employee’s is 7.2 percent on a salary base of 100 percent.)
- Medical coverage: The University pays 25 percent of the premium of the relevant plan to which the jobholder subscribes according to his or her entitlement and the employee pays the remaining 75 percent. (For a full-time employee, the premium is split into equal shares between the employee and the University.)
- Tuition benefits: In general terms, tuition benefits follow the same pattern used in benefits being reduced proportionately. Refer to, Educational Benefits, for further details.
The benefits for fixed-term, project, and grant and secondment employment vary according to the employment contract. All categories of employment working on a full-time basis are entitled to the benefits that include social insurance, group life insurance and medical coverage. Please refer to "Chapter Five: Fringe Benefits" for further details.