Project Editor, AUC Press (10001092)
Reports to: Managing Editor
Purpose: To project and manage new book titles from manuscript through to printed and bound books.
Work is based on flexible and extended hours in all AUC Press.
- To commission and oversee freelance copy-editors, proofreaders, and indexers for the preparation of manuscripts ahead of design
- To schedule, copy-edit, and proofread manuscripts for publication and prepare them for products
- To assist the managing editor in scheduling editorial and production work for AUC Press publications
- To meet with authors, translators, illustrators, designers, freelance editors, proofreaders, and indexers to discuss and coordinate work in progress
- To cooperate and communicate with all involved in the process of AUC Press publications
- To examine and approve pre-press material, including camera-ready pages, PDFs, blueprints, and films
- To prepare front and back matter (as necessary) and cover/jacket materials for new books and reprints and to follow through on their production
- To assist the managing editor and other AUC Press staff members in any other tasks related to the AUC Press publishing program
Minimum Education Requirement: BA degree, preferably in the humanities
Experience: Three years of editing or equivalent
- English as a native language
- Computer skills
- Good knowledge of Arabic desirable
- A methodical approach to work and an eye for detail
- A thorough understanding of grammar and a feeling for language
- Excellent project management skills, particularly the ability to juggle many and often conflicting priorities at the same time
The position is open until filled
Placement is based on the candidate’s experience and skills. Only candidates who make it to the shortlist will be contacted. If interested, please send an updated and detailed resume to firstname.lastname@example.org, stating “10001092 Project Editor, AUC Press” in the subject line.
“We thank all individuals who have expressed interest in working at The American University in Cairo."