Director, Applied Associate Degrees, Applied Associate Degrees Department, School of Continuing Education (50031079)
Reports to: Associate Dean for Instruction Affairs (ADIA)
Purpose: The purpose of the job is to provide leadership and technical direction for the design, delivery and management of high quality applied associate degrees (AAD) in response to market needs in the areas of production and maintenance at the School of Continuing Education (SCE). The AAD department director is also responsible for establishing the department goals and strategies, business development, promoting the reputation of the department throughout AUC and the wider community, overseeing the activities of the department and staff and managing the budget of the department.
Work is based on flexible and extended hours in all SCE and training venues.
- Provide leadership for the staff and instructors of the department; motivate a cooperative team spirit throughout the department as a whole and build a sense of school/department identity; maintain contact with all sections of the department including instructors, promote high standard of professionalism at all levels; make appropriate changes to improve the functioning of the department.
- Establish attainable goals and make plans for achieving them; set and review program objectives with members of the department to ensure inter- and intra- department compatibility
- Ensure high quality of course content and course delivery; follow the progress of other SCE departments and cooperate with them where feasible
- Ensures the continuous development and upgrading of curricula and expands the range of AADs offered
- Establish partnerships and keep abreast of developments within the market and seek ways of promoting the department within the Egyptian community
- Ensure that the full range of the AADs is marketed, well-targeted; assess market needs and respond to them with new degrees; expand the scope of the offerings
- Propose, adjust and maintain the department budget; increase revenues while increasing the quality of instructional delivery; secure remuneration for department staff; order capital and minor equipment for the department in accordance with the budget guidelines
- Request hiring and/or re-assigning of staff according to department needs and professional performance; select instructors and supervise course assignments based on performance and qualifications needs each term
- Conduct annual evaluations of instructors and staff according to SCE policies and procedures; evaluate all other aspects of the department, take action based upon the results
- Promote the professional growth of staff and instructors, by encouraging active participation at professional development workshops and research up to date curriculum
- Prepare special reports, documents and presentations that communicate information on the department’s activities for the community associate dean for instructional affairs and other AUC administrators.
Minimum Education Requirement: Engineering background required; MBA preferred
Experience: A minimum of seven years at a managerial level
- Excellent English and Arabic language ability, both written and verbal
- Excellent interpersonal and leadership skills
- Strong organizational and planning skills
- Excellent understanding of cultural differences
- Comprehensive understanding of teacher development
- Ability to market and promote programs
- Excellent computer skills and use of MS office applications
Position is open until September 27, 2018
Placement is based on the candidate’s experience and skills. Only candidates who make it to the short list will be contacted. If interested, please send an updated and detailed resume to firstname.lastname@example.org, stating “50031079 Director, Applied Associate Degrees, Applied Associate Degrees Department, School of Continuing Education” in the subject line.
“We thank all individuals who have expressed interest in working at The American University in Cairo."