Strategy Manager, Office of Strategy Management and Institutional Research (7000102)
Reports to: Assistant Director, Planning & Research
Purpose: The purpose of the position is to assist in the university-wide planning process in support of the University mission and core values. The job holder will assist the Strategy Management Director in developing and implementing an effective integrated strategic planning process that is linked to the budget and Human Resources, supported by information and tracked through assessment. The job holder is also responsible for preparing institutional dashboards and peer comparisons that track university key performance indicators (KPIs).
Strategic Planning Responsibilities
Assist the Strategy Management Director in managing the strategic plan for instructional, student support and administrative units, and ensure alignment with mission, goals, objectives, organizations and operating practices; and regularly confers on various aspects of planning processes, tools and capacities.
Assist in the strategy development and execution tracking. This involves:
- A clear understanding of value drivers at all levels of the institution
- The ability to leverage that understanding to enable a strong fact-based and analytical approach to developing high value strategies
- Work closely with planning coordinators of different academic and administrative departments to build capacity for strategic planning and ensure full communication regarding the Strategic Plan
- Facilitate strategic discussion and participate in the project management of relevant strategic initiatives
- Monitor AUC’s key project and initiatives from the goals down to the main initiatives to make sure they align with the AUC’s goals.
- Serve as a staff resource to administrators, faculty and staff in carrying out their assigned planning functions; responds to inquiries and provides one-on-one technical training on processes, resources and software used to collect and report strategic planning data; interacts with others to troubleshoot planning and identify appropriate solutions; participates in developing and conducting training sessions and workshops on processes, procedures and technical tools used to support strategic planning processes
- Participate in the budget development process and maintain a high level of fiscal responsibility
- Provide support, training and administrator of the planning/assessment system: Compliance-Assist and including providing first-line support to end-users and report generation
- Responsible for the preparation of Periodic Reports on strategic planning, its progress, implementation and compliance in relation to the Strategic Plan
- Assist in generating data requested to enhance evidenced-based decision-making for planning and accreditation
- Support in the administration of the planning and assessment software, including providing first-line support to end users, training, and report generation
- Assist in ensuring that appropriate metrics are in place to measure performance and progress towards strategic goals
- Assist in developing and managing an Institutional Effectiveness Dashboard that monitors the execution of the university-wide strategic plan
- Follow up on the progress of strategic initiatives and ensure that its progressing towards achieving institutional goals and targets
Institutional Indicators and Benchmarks
- Assist in researching and developing quantitative and qualitative measures to track implementation of plans at the unit, department, schools and university level
- Prepare peer comparisons, research and other technical approaches for benchmarking using IPEDS, Common Data Sets and other HE sources
- Provide assistance in the analysis, visualization and interpretation of academic and administrative data supporting decision making and policy formation
- Participate in various ad-hoc projects as directed in support of strategic plan
Minimum education requirement:
- A minimum of a bachelor’s degree in management of information systems, computer science, business, finance, accounting, research/statistics, or a related field.
- A minimum of 5 years of experience in integrated institutional strategic and operational planning in Higher Education is required
- Experience in training professionals and working with SAP, Banner, Planning and Assessment systems is a key asset
- Experience with IPEDs, Common Data Sets and benchmarking is needed
- Excellent knowledge of data management, quantitative data analysis, data synthesis, visualization and ease in dealing with large volumes of data
- Ability to organize, set priorities, take initiative, work under pressure, meet deadlines, work on simultaneous projects effectively and exercise sound independent judgment within general policy guidelines.
- Competencies in coordinating and collaborating with administrators, management and faculty at all levels to ensure completion of requirements within the set deadlines.
- Advanced uses of business software, including word processing, database and spreadsheet programs, and planning/assessment software
- Principles and practices of sound business communication, including multi-media and web-based communication methods appropriate to a variety of audiences.
- Ability to communicate complex information and ideas clearly and effectively, both orally and in writing, to multiple audiences. Use a high degree of tact, diplomacy in dealing with sensitive and complex issues and situations.
- Basic principles and practices of project management
Position is open until August 2, 2018
Placement is based on the candidate’s experience and skills. Only candidates who make it to the short list will be contacted. If interested, please send an updated and detailed resume to firstname.lastname@example.org, stating “7000102 Strategy Manager” in the subject line.
“We thank all individuals who have expressed interest in working at the American University in Cairo”.