Tania Kamal-Eldin is an accomplished filmmaker and educator with an MFA in visual arts from the University of California at San Diego, UCSD, where she was awarded the Jacob Javits Fellowship. Her productions have an international audience and are distributed by Women Make Movies, Inc. and Typecast Film Distribution. Her work has been screened in competitive festivals worldwide and has been broadcast on public television and cable stations.
- MFA from University of California, San Diego
- MSc from London School of Economics
- Egyptian Sons Documentary distributed by Arab Film Distribution, 30 minutes/Color/2014.
- Faculty Spotlights—video profiles of Luther College faculty, 2011
- AmbiVEILant—video installation, 2008
- Traveling art exhibition, The Veil: Visible and Invisible Space, 2008 - 2014
- Faces of the Other—short experimental film, 2006
- Premiere at the Middle East Studies Association FilmFest, November 2006
- Protect Yourself—educational video produced for The United Nations (UNICEF), on the awareness and prevention of HIV/AIDS targeted at Egyptian youth. 10 minutes/Color/2005
- Cairo Chronicles—personal documentary—28 minutes/Color/2004
- Semifinalist at Boston Motion Picture Awards International Short Film Competition, 2004-05
- Hollywood Harems—documentary distributed by Women Make Movies, Inc. 24 minutes/Color/1999
- Covered: The Hejab in Cairo, Egypt—documentary distributed by Women Make Movies, Inc. 25 minutes/Color/1995
- Finalist at USA Film Festival, Dallas, TX, 1996.
- Finalist at New York Exposition of Short Film and Video, New York, NY, 1995.
- Recipient of grant from the Jerome Foundation & National Endowment of the Arts, 1993.
- Exes—short experimental film—1998
- Recipient of Russell Foundation Production Grant, 1998.
- Wild Still Life—short experimental film—1995
- Recipient of Midwestern Media Artists Access Center equipment access award and film stock.
- Deception—short experimental film—1994
- Co-author of book chapter: “Provocative Pedagogy: The Middle East,” in Bennett, Bruce and Marciniak, Katarzyna, eds., Teaching Transnational Cinema: Politics and Pedagogy (AFI Film Readers/Routledge, March 2016).
- Amelia (Bakersfield, CA): short story
- Arab News (Riyadh, Saudi Arabia): cultural criticism
- 8 Days (London, England): economic and finance
- Egyptian Gazette (Cairo, Egypt): reportage
- The Middle East Magazine (London, England): the oil industry
- The Minnesota Women’s Press (Minneapolis, MN)
- Middle East Times (Cairo, Egypt): cultural criticism
- Saudi Business (Riyadh, Saudi Arabia): economics
- South, The Third World Magazine (London, England): economic development
- The North American Review (Cedar Falls, IA): reportage
- Aljadid (Los Angeles, CA): reportage
- Co-authored a book of short stories: Countries of the Heart; published by the Association for Textual Study and Production, University of Northern Iowa: 1997.