Lamyaa El-Gabry received her PhD in mechanical engineering from Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute in Troy, New York. She was appointed assistant professor at The American University in Cairo in 2006 and tenured and promoted to Associate Professor in 2012. Prior to her academic appointment, she held various engineering and research roles at General Electric. Her work included gas turbine blade cooling design, combustion controls, experimental heat transfer, generator ventilation design and project engineering, and Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD) and heat transfer methods development for energy and propulsion.
El-Gabry is the recipient of five NASA Glenn Faculty Fellowships, the Air Force Faculty Fellowship, and KTH Royal Institute of Technology fellowship where she served as affiliated senior faculty for several years. She is currently a visiting research fellow and senior principal engineer at Solar Turbines in San Diego.
El-Gabry teaches courses in fluid mechanics and thermodynamics and supervises student research in various areas of mechanical engineering.
PhD Mechanical Engineering, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, 2003
BSc Mechanical Engineering, The American University in Cairo, 1998
- L. El-Gabry, R. Saha, J. Fridh, and T. Fransson, 2014, “Measurements of hub flow interaction on film cooled nozzle guide vane in transonic annular cascade,” ASME Journal of Turbomachinery, vol. 137, doi:10.1115/1.4029242
- L. El-Gabry, D. Thurman, P. Poinsatte, and J. Heidmann, 2013, “Detailed Velocity and turbulence measurements in an inclined large-scale film cooling array,” ASME Journal of Turbomachinery, vol. 135, doi: 10.1115/1.4023347
- L. El-Gabry and J. Heidmann, 2013, "Numerical Study on the Sensitivity of Film Cooling CFD Results to Experimental and Numerical Uncertainties," International Journal for Computational Methods in Engineering Science and Mechanics, 14:4, pp 317-328.
- W. Siddique, I.V. Shevchuk, L. El-Gabry, N.B. Hushmandi, T.H. Fransson, 2013, “On flow structure, heat transfer and pressure drop in varying aspect ratio two-pass rectangular channel with ribs at 45°,” Heat and Mass Transfer, Vol. 49, pp 679-694
- W. Siddique, L. El-Gabry, I. Shevchuk, and T. Fransson, 2012, “Validation and analysis of numerical results for a two-pass trapezoidal channel with different cooling configurations of trailing edge,” ASME Journal of Turbomachinery, vol. 135; doi:10.1115/1.4006534
- Research interests: gas turbine heat transfer, computational fluid dynamics, solar thermal applications
- Teaching interests: fluid mechanics, thermodynamics, engineering analysis and computation