Lamyaa El-Gabry received her PhD in mechanical engineering from Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute in Troy, New York. She was appointed assistant professor at The American University in Cairo in 2006 and tenured and promoted to Associate Professor in 2012. Prior to her academic appointment, she held various engineering and research roles at General Electric. Her work included gas turbine blade cooling design, combustion controls, experimental heat transfer, generator ventilation design and project engineering, and Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD) and heat transfer methods development for energy and propulsion.
El-Gabry is the recipient of five NASA Glenn Faculty Fellowships, the Air Force Faculty Fellowship, and KTH Royal Institute of Technology fellowship where she served as affiliated senior faculty for several years. While on sabbatical, El-Gabry was a visiting research fellow and senior principal engineer at Solar Turbines in San Diego and lecturer at Princeton University Department of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering.
El-Gabry teaches courses in fluid mechanics and thermodynamics and supervises student research in various areas of mechanical engineering.
PhD Mechanical Engineering, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, 2003
BSc Mechanical Engineering, The American University in Cairo, 1998
- L. El-Gabry, M. Jaskolski, 2019, “Offering Engineering Students Global Perspective Through Experiential Learning Project in Wind Energy and Sustainability,” ASME Journal of Engineering for Gas Turbine and Power
- K. Ragab, L. El-Gabry, 2018, “Heat Transfer Analysis of the Surface of Nozzle Guide Vane in Transonic Annular Cascade.” Journal of Thermal Science and Engineering Applications
- L. El-Gabry, 2018, “Case study on community-based learning: toy design project for children in Egyptian squatter community.” European Journal of Engineering Education
- L. El-Gabry, R. Saha, J. Fridh, and T. Fransson, 2014, “Measurements of hub flow interaction on film cooled nozzle guide vane in transonic annular cascade,” ASME Journal of Turbomachinery, vol. 137, doi:10.1115/1.4029242
- L. El-Gabry, D. Thurman, P. Poinsatte, and J. Heidmann, 2013, “Detailed Velocity and turbulence measurements in an inclined large-scale film cooling array,” ASME Journal of Turbomachinery, vol. 135, doi: 10.1115/1.4023347
- L. El-Gabry and J. Heidmann, 2013, "Numerical Study on the Sensitivity of Film Cooling CFD Results to Experimental and Numerical Uncertainties," International Journal for Computational Methods in Engineering Science and Mechanics, 14:4, pp 317-328
- Research interests: gas turbine heat transfer, computational fluid dynamics, wind energy, solar thermal applications
- Teaching interests: fluid mechanics, thermodynamics, engineering analysis and computation