Mohamed Nagib AbouZeid
Mohamed Abou-Zeid is a professor of construction engineering at The American University in Cairo (AUC). He has been serving as the chairman of the university senate for four terms. Prior to that, he served as the dean of the School of Sciences and Engineering (SSE) and the chairman of the Department of Construction and Architectural Engineering for seven years.
Abou-Zeid received his PhD with honors from the University of Kansas in 1994. In 2002, Abou-Zeid led AUC’s first task force, later a council, on academic integrity which developed the university first set of integrity policies, awareness campaign and Code of Ethics. He became in 2003 the first member from outside North America to serve as a board member in the International Center for Academic Integrity. Later, he served as a chairman for the board of the center from 2012-2014. About-Zeid is also the recipient of Don McCabe’s achievement award for academic integrity in 2010.
He has been active on numerous accreditation fronts both regionally and internationally both on programs levels as well as institutional levels. He has been the chair of AUC’s steering Committee on Accreditation and was appointed by Egypt’s president to serve as a board member of Egypt’s first Accreditation Authority (NAQAAE) in 2008. He is also an accredited reviewer for the US-Middle States Commission on Higher Education (MSCHE). He is currently serving as the chair of the university strategic planning committee. On another area, Abou-Zeid has been a parliamentarian for seven years (2004-2011) in the education and Research committee.
Abou-Zeid has more than 200 publications in domains of advanced construction materials, academic integrity, technical education, education planning, among others. He is the recipient of several regional and international recognitions and serves as referee for a spectrum of international Journals.
- Afifi, M and Abou-Zeid, M.N, “Is internal Curing Ready for Structural Concrete?”, submitted to ASCE Journal of Materials in Civil Engineering, December 2020, MTENG-12145.
- Ali, Y., Fahmy, E, AbouZeid, M.N. Shaheen, Y. and Abdel Mooty, M., “Use of Expanded Polystyrene Wastes in Developing Hollow Block Masonry Units”, Journal of Construction & Building Materials, Vol. 241, April 2020. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.conbuildmat.2020.118149.
- Ali, Y., Fahmy, E, AbouZeid, M.N. Shaheen, Y. and Abdel Mooty, M., “Use of Expanded Polystyrene in Developing Solid Brick Masonry Units”, Journal of Construction & Building Materials, Vol. 242, May 2020. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.conbuildmat.2020.118109.
- Khalil, E. and Abou-Zeid, M.N., “Environmental Impact of Autoclaved Aereated Concrete (ACC) in Modern Construction: A Case Study from New Administrative Capital”, World Academy of Sciences, Engineering and Technology, International Journal of Civil and Architecture Engineering, volume 14, No. 1, 2020.
- Hammam, A., Ismail, M., Roushdy, M., ElGhonemy, M., Abdel Raouf, M., El Maghraby, Y. and AbouZeid, M.N., “Incorporation of Perlite and Recycled Aggregates for Internal Concrete Curing”, International Conference on Transportation and development, Online Conference, June 8th –June 10th, 2021.
- Said, F.1, Eldwib, D.1, Zaytoun, M.1, Abd Elsalam, A.1, Bakhoum, M.1, Elshehemy, O.1, Abou Ali, R.1, El Gamal, S.1 and AbouZeid, M.N, “3-D Printing Concrete Incorporating Environmentally Friendly Materials”, Presented in the Canadian Society for Civil Engineers Annual Conference, CSCE, Online, May 26th-May 29th, 2021.
- Darwish, M., Ismail, H., Orz, A., Ammar, A., ElDebaby, O., Soliman, O, Nasser, K., AbouZeid, M.N., and Youssef, P., “Manufacturing and Characteristics of Structural Sections from Wood plastic Composites”, Presented in the Canadian Society for Civil Engineers Annual Conference, CSCE, Online, May 26th-May 29th, 2021.
- Hussein, P, Leon, B, Rizkalla, K, Dakroury, Z, Hanna, N, ElGamal, S, and AbouZeid, M.N., “Storage and Handling of Hazardous Materials in Structures”, Presented in the Canadian Society for Civil Engineers Annual Conference, CSCE, Online, May 26th-May 29th, 2021
- Effat, A., Moharram, R., Soliman, N., Zahawy, M., AbouZeid, M.N., “Impact of Climate Change on the Construction Industry in Egypt”, Presented in the Canadian Society for Civil Engineers Annual Conference, CSCE, Online, May 26-May 29th, 2021
- “Gamal. R., Reda, K., H., Abdeen, Z., Ayman, G., Sawan, O. and AbouZeid, M.N., “Exploring Potential Building Materials for Planet Mars”, Presented in the Canadian Society for Civil Engineers Annual Conference, CSCE, Online, May 26-May 29th, 2021.
- Youssef Mokhtar, Mohab El-Dyasty, Nouran Gohar, Sandra Ghaly, Omar Assem, Kirolos Hanna, Mohamed Abou-Zeid “Analysis of Waste Glass as a partial replacement for Coarse and Fine aggregates”, reviewed and presented in the Canadian Society for Civil Engineers Annual online conference, May 26th-May 29th, 2021.
- Ahmed Abbas, Ahmed El-Wakil, Eslam El-Basel, May Hassan, Nada Abo-Elmagd, Yasser Kilany, Aya El-Desouky, Magdi Madi and Mohamed Abou-Zeid, “Effect of admixtures on the performance of anti-washout concrete”, reviewed and presented in the Canadian Society for Civil Engineers Annual Conference online, May 26th- May 29th, 2021.
- Amr Elsabagh, Mai Hassan, Sondos Mansour, Mohamed Abou-Zeid, Heba Gad, Ahmed Farrag, Mariam Zaki, Hossam Zaher, Ahmed Badawy and Reem Abou Ali, “Thermally Controlled Concrete Incorporating Waste Materials and Byproducts”, reviewed and presented in the Canadian Society for Civil Engineers Annual Conference online, May 25th - May 29th, 2021.
- Serageldin Zamel, Mohamed Gad, Abdelrahman Hady, Karim Al Ahmar, Ahmed Awad, Islam Abouelatta, Hassan El Kassas and Mohamed Abou-Zeid, “Incorporation of Combined Rice Husk abd Straw Waste in Concrete”, reviewed and presented in the Canadian Society for Civil Engineers Annual Conference, online, May 26th - May 29th, 2021
- Riham Abuzaid, Mina Rofael, Hussien Enaya, Mohamed Bahaa, Fady Akhnoukh, Salah El Gamal, Mayer Farag, Reem Abu Ali and Mohamed Abou-Zeid, “Properties of White Portland cement Concrete”, reviewed and presented in the Canadian Society for Civil Engineers Annual Conference, online, 26th- May 29th, 2021.
- Esraa Ahmed Khalil and Mohamed Abou Zeid, “Influence of Building Envelope on Energy Conservation Towards Sustainable Building in the New Egyptian Administrative Capital”, reviewed and presented in the Canadian Society for Civil Engineers Annual Conference, online, 26th- May 29th, 2021.
- Nancy Sakr and Mohamed Abou Zeid, “Utilization of Plastic Waste in Construction Industry”, reviewed and accepted in the Canadian Society for Civil Engineers Annual conference, Saskatoon Canada, May 27-May 30th, 2020. Reviewed and presented in the Canadian Society for Civil Engineers Annual Conference, online, May 25th- May 29th, 2021.
Ph.D. Department of Civil Engineering, University of Kansas, Kansas, USA, May 1994, (Honors).
M.Sc. Materials Engineering, American University in Cairo, Egypt, February 1991.
B.Sc. Civil Engineering, Cairo University, Cairo, Egypt, July 1985.
Scanning Electron Microscopy and x-ray Analysis, Lehigh University, Short Course, 1992.
Advanced Studies in French Language, French Cultural Center, Cairo, Egypt, 1988-1990.
Accomplished the courses on the Society for College and University Planning (SCUP), 2008.
- Mechanical properties and durability of construction materials
- Use of industrial by-products such as silica fume, fly ash, and slag in construction
- Microanalysis of materials, using scanning electron microscopy, x-ray and image analysis
- Corrosion of structural metals and deterioration of materials
- Repair and retrofitting of components and structures
- Linear and nonlinear finite element analysis
- Fracture mechanics of concrete and structural steels
- Nondestructive testing and evaluation of structures
- Urban development and enhancement of construction aspects
- Technical education, vocational training and human resources development aspects