Executive Assistant to Chair, Arab and Islamic Civilizations Department (For internals and casuals only) 50018200
Reports to: Department Chair
Purpose: Oversee, coordinate and implement a variety of departmental academic and student programs, which include budgeting, program implementation, record keeping and supervision of administrative staff under the direction of the department chair. The job entails acting as a coordinator for faculty affairs which include but is not limited to overseeing procedures of promotion/tenure cases, faculty recruitment. Due to the nature of the academic department, this job acts, as an advisor to the chair for all administrative aspects.
- Maintain the chair’s calendar and prepare required meetings material. Maintain a database of mailing addresses, phone numbers and addresses for faculty members (full-time and adjunct faculty), staff, graduate assistants and fellows.
- Assess the department’s need for furnishing or refurbishing of premises, provide recommendations to the chair. Responsible for the maintenance of equipment and contracts if any.
- Supervise and organize the department's events as well as the program's brochures, flyers, banners and other publicity material if required.
- Prepare different statistics required to facilitate decision making. For example, ratios of full-time faculty versus adjunct, faculty-student ratio, and students enrollments.
- Prepare catalog changes forms to be submitted to the Dean, issue statistics of enrollment for schedule preparation, draft the schedule of courses to fit students demands and faculty prioritization of courses and time preferences, meet time slots allocated to the department, manage adjustment to the schedule necessitated by changes in department personnel at last minute in coordination with the Registrar.
- Be responsible for and maintain SAP operations such as fund reservations, purchase requisitions, supervise the supply store orders with the administrative assistant, overtime and annual leaves. Take partial role on research and conference grant of full-time faculty for the department on SAP.
- Access the Banner account to have access to student files upon request from faculty, class lists and enrollment figures also upon request and for analysis.
- Access the Documentum project.
- Coordinate with the IT and the Office of Advancement and Communications about the department's website update and maintenance based on the guidance of the chair; monitor website compliance with IT guidelines etc...
- Supervise the secretary of the department request book orders every semester for faculty and follow on their delivery with required parties.
- Act as a liaison between the HR and the department by preparing and coordinating appointments of staff, follow up on requested promotions, attendance, overtime, leaves and administer performance appraisal process. Maintain a file for each employee at the department level.
- Supervise department staff and provide guidance for different administrative functions carried.
- Advise and prepare departmental budget requirements for each academic year, responsible for data entry to the planning matrix.
- Weekly revision of budget expenses and calculating our expenses on a daily basis.
- Manage petty cash expenses and reimbursement.
- Supervise the administrative assistant, receive graduate admission files, review them and refer files to graduate selection committee for review and action. Arrange for and manage the applicants interviews by the selection committee. Record the committee’s feedback and communicate the results to the Dean of Graduate Studies. Keep record of new admission letters for accepted students.
- Supervise students advising and registration in classes.
- Supervise students theses submission.
- Answer enrolled graduate and undergraduate students regular departmental inquiries and requests.
- Communicate with the registrar’s office on issues and problems pertaining to individual students or classes.
- Supervise the administration of student evaluations and assist in grade reports.
- Prepare appointments of graduate assistant and fellows
- Facilitate interview logistics through keeping a list of qualified faculty applicants in view of Faculty Affairs Committee recommendations; administer all logistics for the interviewing process and documenting committee’s recommendations.
- Organize DVP and visiting lecturer’s travel and accommodation; processing honorarium and per diem payments, reserving refreshments and reserving airline tickets and airport transportation.
- Coordinate faculty retreats and special events.
- Advise new faculty of University and departmental policies and procedures.
- Prepare faculty teaching loads for approval by the Dean’s Office and make the request of contract for adjunct professor.
- Prepare placement of new Adjunct faculty, review the prepared promotion/tenure cases for the chair’s review/approval, prepare list of faculty vacancies, assist in the administration of faculty selection and issue letters to rejected applicants.
- Review the prepared promotion/tenure cases for the chair’s review/approval, anticipated faculty vacancies, assist in the administration of faculty selection and issue apology letters to rejected applicants. Prepare faculty dossier for review and maintain a file for each faculty at the department level.
- Maintain a database for full-time faculty teaching priorities, research, interests and specializations.
- Provide administrative and logistics support for grants and funded projects (Does not apply to the School of Humanities and Social Sciences where it is through PI and financial and administration manager).
- Performs other job-related duties as assigned.
Minimum Education Requirement: University degree; in a relative field of concerned department is an asset.
Experience: A minimum of eight years of relevant experience, preferably in an academic setting.
- Excellent interpersonal, communication and management skills and demonstrated ability to take initiative is required.
- Must be extremely well organized and detail oriented.
- Demonstrated ability to work under pressure, to multi-task and to be self-motivated essential.
- Excellent computer skills, knowledge of SAP is an asset.
- High level of confidentiality and attention to details.
- High level of commitment to provide excellent customer service.
- Excellent English and Arabic.
Position is open until July 16, 2018
Placement is based on the candidate’s experience and skills. Only candidates who make it to the short list will be contacted. If interested, please send an updated and detailed resume to email@example.com, stating “50018200 Executive Assistant to Chair” in the subject line.
“We thank all individuals who have expressed interest in working at The American University in Cairo."