Liberal Arts Symposium
Call for Papers
The 8th Annual Liberal Arts Symposium
March 29, 2022 – Location TBD
9:00 am – 5:30 pm
Re-envisioning the Comprehensive Reading Classroom
Different Courses – Same Concepts
Across The American University in Cairo (AUC), faculty often share their concerns about our students’ engagement with reading comprehension. Reading is a foundational skill for academic, personal and career success. In this call for papers the Academy of Liberal Arts (ALA) invites proposals that can examine:
- How are faculty helping students use reading comprehension skills in courses beyond first-year writing?
- What challenges are faculty facing to enact classroom practices that effectively link reading comprehension and writing?
- How are faculty implementing theories about reading comprehension with principles of use in the classroom?
- What factors influence faculty to use reading comprehension strategies to promote learning from discipline-specific texts?
- What types of research is being conducted that reveal how critical reading is used within a community of practice?
- What critical reading practices are faculty using that have proven most effective?
These and other questions can allow the AUC community to share their concerns, practices and ideas to work towards building a community of comprehensive and critical readers, which are central practices and learning outcomes in higher education.
Questions and Rationale
Important question(s) related to critical and comprehensive reading (Symposium theme) are posed
An understanding of the issues and/or existing scholarship in the specific area of critical and comprehensive reading is demonstrated.
Theory, Methods, Framework, and Models
The theories, methods, frameworks, and models being used are explained and justified
Outcomes and Insights
Evidence and/or findings are reported
A description of how the work contributes to the understanding or practice of critical and comprehensive reading in practice is provided
A critical and reflective evaluation of the work is offered
Planned opportunities for active audience engagement in the session are described
Opportunities for audience participation in the discussion are included
Effective pedagogical practices are demonstrated
Submit your proposal via email by January 29, 2022.