About Bike Share
The Bike Share is a service in which bicycles are made available for the AUC Community to share and use for short periods of time to promote community members’ health and well-being through exercise, environmental impact through emissions reduction, as well as endorse community-oriented transportation. Hundreds of universities in the United States and abroad employ bike-share projects for their faculty, staff, and students to promote cycling as a viable and sustainable transport option. AUC stands to benefit from a bike-share program through an embodied commitment to sustainable practices, such as the improvement of air quality, the increased accessibility of its campus, and the increased availability of alternative transportation modes in its growing suburban community. This project aligns with the AUC’s vision to be “a world‐class University internationally recognized for its leadership and excellence in teaching, research, creative expression and service” through incorporating sustainable services such as a bike-share into its operations. Furthermore, the bike-share project reinforces AUC’s strategic pillars: Quality of Education, Internationalization, AUC Experience, Institutional Effectiveness, and Innovation.
AUC community members, students, faculty, staff, and alumni, who are interested in a healthy alternative to commuting to AUC. As per recent transportation surveys, almost 20% of all commuters to the University live in New Cairo and Al-Rehab. Thus, opting for the bike-share would save money, reduce pollution, and promote fitness.
There will be two stations with each comprising of 10 bike slots for 20 slots total. AUC will purchase 12 bikes, with six bikes being made available at each station. Six of the bikes will be normal, mechanical bikes and the other six will be electric-powered e-bikes. Each station will initially have three of each bike option. Dependent upon the popularity of certain locations, bikes may be moved by the bike-share service provider throughout campus to ensure better availability.
The current bike-share stations are located directly outside of the sports complex and between the core building and administration building. These locations were decided to be of the highest priority via a bike-share committee survey.
Dependent upon the success of Phase 1, more bike-share stations will be constructed to serve the greater AUC community.
Currently, AUC is updating and re-designing bike and pedestrian routes in and around the inner gate of the campus. A well-established consultancy company is already working with the University to facilitate this change to ensure that all bike routes are in line with international codes and that AUC’s project is held to the utmost safety and security standards. Based on data collection and analysis of AUC’s existing status, the consultancy company is formulating a pedestrian and bicycle network plan which encompasses suitability analysis.
Cyclist Safety and Security
Safety and security precautions are of the responsibility of the cyclist. Refer to the terms and conditions below for your own safety while using the bike-share service.
In order to properly use and access the bike-share program, you agree to the following statements:
- You are the sole renter of the bike and are responsible for compliance with all terms and agreements located at the time of joining the program on the AUC Mobile App.
- Operation or use of any bike and/or e-vehicle by any minor (under 16 years of age) is strictly prohibited.
- You will wear a Snell, CPSC, ANSI or ASTM approved helmet that has been properly sized, fitted and fastened according to the manufacturer’s instructions at all times while riding the bike.
- You are reasonably competent and physically fit to use a bike and/or e-vehicle. By choosing to use a bike and/or e-vehicle, you assume all risks and responsibilities for any risks and/or medical conditions that may occur.
- You agree that all products, including stations, equipment, bikes and/or e-vehicles, are the property of AUC. You must not dismantle, write-on, or otherwise modify, repair of deface any products. You may not use any products for any advertising or commercial use.
- You agree that you will only use the products in areas where the products are allowed by law, rule, regulation, or ordinance. You will use products only in allowed routes and paths and will not use any products in any restricted areas (such as pedestrian paths and vehicle roads). Allowed routes and paths are noted on the map located at the bike-sharing stations
- You agree to follow all laws, rules, regulations, and/or ordinances pertaining to the use, riding and/or operation of the products, including, without limitation, helmet laws.