Officer, Technical Operations, Department of the Arts (10000313)
Reports to: Executive Assistant to Chair and Chair, Dept of the Arts
Purpose: The job holder will oversee the supervision of all technical areas of department events, supervision of all technical support for events, and the oversight of facilities operations and maintenance. The job holder will be responsible for the supervision of productions, establishing and maintaining build schedules, making technical drawings, purchasing supplies and equipment, training of students, and supervising staff in lighting, sound and scenery.
- Direct, maintain the day to day operations and manage the full and part-time staff within the department’s scenery and lighting shops, setting daily work schedules and helping to solve technical problems as they arise to ensure a high standard of technical cover is provided whenever required. This requires hands-on work with the department’s staff to assure that all work satisfies the needs of events.
- Provide smooth and efficient technical services to all events pertaining to Film, Graphic Design, Music, Theatre and Visual Arts majors and minors.
- Supervise the technical needs of department events including the following events within the department’s venues: theatre productions, music concerts, film screenings, and art gallery exhibits
- Provide on-site technical supervision and any required preparations for all department events including public performances in the theatre and music venues, film screenings, and art exhibitions, as well as those of guest artists, companies, or other approved users
- Advise and assist student organizations, other departments, outside groups, guest artists, or any others who are authorized to use the department venues
- Oversee the purchasing of materials for the department program projects as well as carry out the responsibility of advance planning for Scenery construction while remaining within allocated budgets
- Assist in the supervision, guidance, and training of students involved in the technical aspects of the department’s events, as well as students working in the technical shops as part of their classes
- In coordination with the Production Officer, assure adequate staffing and support for department activities such as rehearsals venues, exhibition installing, film screening in the department’s venues by providing at least one staff member to open and close the facility, by providing access to necessary spaces, and by providing adequate technical services
- In coordination with the Multimedia Senior Specialist, supervise the maintenance and on-going upgrades for the department’s facilities and equipment that are necessary for university teaching and public events
- Perform other tasks designated by the Department Chair relevant to the department’s events.
Minimum Education Requirements:
- Bachelor degree in a related field
- MFA in Theatre is preferable
- At least seven years of experience in the field of technical production
- High level of understanding of department nature of activities such as music concerts, film screening, and gallery exhibitions
- High level of understanding in stagecraft, shop management and set construction, stage management, and budgeting
- Time management and organizational skills
- Good communication skills to work with faculty and students.
- Energy and stamina to deal confidently in crisis and perform well under stress
- Excellent Management Skills
- Excellent Arabic and English needed
- Computer skills: Accounting, Excel, Word, Auto Cad, Vector Works
This position is open until August 29, 2019
Placement is based on the candidate’s experience and skills. Only candidates who make it to the shortlist will be contacted. If interested, please send an updated and detailed resume to firstname.lastname@example.org, stating “10000313 Officer, Technical Operations, Department of the Arts” in the subject line.
“We thank all individuals who have expressed interest in working at The American University in Cairo.”