Winter Research Academy
Research is a powerful tool that can help you prove a theory, build knowledge, increase awareness, seize opportunities, and succeed in business.
The AUC Winter Research Academy is an online interactive workshop by AUC faculty that provides step-by-step training in developing a research proposal. You will learn the basics of narrowing a topic of interest, writing a research question, developing a tentative annotated bibliography and literature review, describing the research method, and developing and presenting a complete research proposal. Unleash your curiosity and passion for discovery this winter, and join us in an exceptional educational experience.
Two Weeks - January 10 - January 21
Classes run Sunday to Thursday from 6 to 9 pm. Enrolled students are expected to spend between two to three hours daily working on their projects independently.
This is an interactive online class via Zoom and requires a reliable internet connection.
Early Bird Fees (until November 30): EGP 3,000
Normal Fees: EGP 3,500
Who may enroll?
University students: graduate and undergraduates from any university in Egypt
- Submission of digital copies of the following to email@example.com:
- Personal statement, outlining previous research experience or research interests
- Sample of coursework, if any
- Minimum GPA of 2.0 (good or gayyed)
Requirements for a Smooth Virtual Classroom Experience:
- Laptop, tablet, or phone
- Reliable internet connection (ADSL)
- Note-taking tools: pencils/pens/paper
- This course requires students to work independently outside the time of the course
- Enrolled students are expected to spend between 2 to 3 hours daily to work on their projects
- Learn to conduct academic research using on-line databases
- Learn to read and understand published research
- Understand the research process, skills, and methods - quantitative, qualitative, and mixed
- Design theory-grounded research questions
- Create a scholar mindset and integrity
- Write and integrate feedback on research proposals
- Network with other undergraduate scholars in a learning community
Hossam Eldin Attiah
Senior Instructor of Rhetoric and Composition, and Director of the Academic Community Engagement at the American University in Cairo
About the Instructor:
Hossam Attiah holds an MA in TESOL from The American University in Cairo. He joined AUC as an instructor in 2007 to teach at the Department of English Language Instruction (ELI) before he moved to the Department of Rhetoric and Composition in 2015. He currently teaches AUC freshman research writing and seminar courses. Attiah regularly attends and presents at international language teaching conferences. He also conducts training of trainers, debating, and business writing workshops. His areas of interest include mentoring teachers, course design, integration of critical thinking and creativity, student autonomy, and the integration of technology in teaching. Prior to his employment at AUC, he worked with a number of Egyptian private-sector and multinational corporations, assisting these groups with their education and training needs. He is currently working on the promotion of community-based courses at AUC and building strong partnerships with NGOs to assist faculty in implementing the methodology.
AUC Refund Policy:
|Program cancellation due to the Coronavirus situation||Three weeks prior to the program start date||100 percent refund of program fees|
|Course cancellation due to low enrollment||Three weeks prior to the program start date||100 percent refund of program fees|
Prior to the program start date
100 percent refund of program fees
One week prior to the program start date
100 percent refund of program fees