Exemptions and Transfers of Credit


Can I be exempted from RHET 1010, CORE 1010 or RHET 1020?


Usually no. All students should complete RHET1010, CORE1010 and RHET1020 in their freshman year. For a small percentage of students, exemption from RHET1010 and CORE1010 may apply, in the following cases:

  • Certain diplomas (like the International Baccalaureate) or exams (like the Advanced Placement exams) may automatically exempt a student from RHET 1010 and CORE 1010. Details may be obtained from the Office of the Registrar.
  • Students who transfer from other universities may be eligible for exemption or transfer of credit. These requests must also be processed through the registrar's office.


When I am exempted from a course do I still get credit for it?



When you are exempted from one of the Department of Rhetoric and Composition's courses, you do not get credit for the course (there are a few exceptions among IB certificates and transfer students). This means that you will have to make up these credits needed for graduation by taking other courses. Usually the situations are handled on a case-by-case situation in communication with the RHET department.