Senior Advancement and Communications Writer (50019357)
Reports to: Associate Director, Content
Purpose: The senior advancement and communications writer is responsible for researching, interviewing and writing stories and content for all digital and print materials produced by the advancement and communications office. Under the guidance of the associate director of content, the jobholder works to investigate, find and produce stories and articles that bring to life the University’s key messages and positioning. The jobholder is also responsible for the production of select newsletters and publications. As part of the editorial team, the jobholder works to bring the faces, ideas and programs of AUC to the audiences it serves from alumni, donors, students, faculty and staff to website visitors and members of the public.
- Produce stories and feature articles for the University’s main publications and website, including News@AUC, AUCToday, the President’s Report, as well as alumni and donor publications.
- Seek out stories that reflect the main messages of the University and its positioning.
- Edit University-produced publications to ensure compliance with AUC’s Editorial Style Guide.
- Provide writing assistance and editorial contribution for publications and digital content.
- Adopt best practices and search engine optimization skills to enhance the ease of access to digital content.
- Oversee production of electronic newsletters and select print publications, including story selection, compilation and testing
- Assist in the regular update of AUC’s Editorial Style Guide, including online tags and keyword rules.
- Manage main University email account, forwarding messages to appropriate offices.
- Assist, as needed, with the editorial review, web approvals and copyediting provided through the creative services unit in the advancement and communications office.
Minimum Education Requirement: BA in journalism, communications or related field
Experience: Three years of professional experience in writing, editing, journalism and communications.
- Excellent English writing and editing skills, complete command of principles of grammar and usage.
- Advanced interview, research and writing, editing skills.
- Extensive knowledge and full command of English usage, style and grammar.
- Experience with writing and editing print and online publications.
- Interview and reporting skills.
- Accuracy in reporting and attention to detail.
- Knowledge of editorial style guidelines.
- Ability to work in a team.
- Commitment to delivery and deadlines.
- Computer knowledge.
- Ability to communicate effectively with members of the AUC community.
Position is open until June 25, 2018
Placement is based on the candidate’s experience and skills. Only candidates who make it to the short list will be contacted. If interested, please send an updated and detailed resume to email@example.com, stating “50019357 Senior Advancement & Communications Writer” in the subject line.
“We thank all individuals who have expressed interest in working at The American University in Cairo."