Senior Coordinator II, Psychology HUB - Department of Psychology – School of Humanities and Social Sciences (50011252)
Reports to: Department Chair - Department of Psychology
Purpose: Manage the Hub for Action and Research in Psychology (HARP), which aims to develop psychological knowledge through research studies and disseminate psychological knowledge through public events and written communications. The job entails overseeing the physical space of the psychology research labs, supporting research processes, offering technical support, developing resource libraries, developing departmental publications/communications, and coordinating publicity and logistics of public events.
- Regularly coordinate with faculty re-design and furnishings for lab rooms to meet specifications needed for research and experimental needs.
- Develop and maintain on-line system for reservations of lab rooms for research data collection or meetings.
- Develop and implement policies and procedures to ensure efficient operations and quality services for the labs.
- Develop/write and present procedures related to labs software and hardware usage.
- Provide lab computer users (faculty and students) with technical and operational support.
- Coordinate maintenance, repair, and installation of lab equipment; maintain warranty and repair records for the lab equipment.
- Maintain records for software license agreements; install software; implement the review of software used in the labs to ensure usage is updated and within copyright guidelines; ensure license contracts are budgeted and renewed.
- Participate in the department budget planning on a yearly basis for technology related facilities including hardware, software, equipment, and new technologies.
- Coordinate with department assistant to chair for purchasing of specialized research equipment for faculty research, organize storage of non-computer equipment
- Regularly conduct maintenance of two-way observation mirror rooms including audio equipment.
- Set-up portable LCD or Internet communication programs for research meetings or lab presentations.
- Design and manage a department-wide on-line research participant management system for students to volunteer in different research studies.
- Design and manage on-line external participant volunteering and tracking systems for research studies.
- Support faculty in developing Web-based research data collection instruments with form-building websites.
- Organize research analysis software trainings in coordination with the software companies.
- Coordinate faculty seminar series for departmental presentations on faculty and student research development.
- Keep track of faculty and student research publications and professional conference presentations to feature content on websites and prepare annual summaries for relevant publications.
- Conduct statistics and analyses of individual faculty and departmental research outputs.
- Handle disposal of old research materials or data using environmentally friendly shredding and recycling, or coordinate IT support for erasure of confidential computer files.
- Reserve rooms or spaces on campus to be utilized for research studies activities.
Research and Educational Resources:
- Organize library of psychological reading resources, reference texts.
- Develop and implement donation and book exchange system for faculty and students.
- Coordinate with faculty and department Assistant to Chair the planning and purchasing of educational/research resources and materials.
- Organize, keep inventory of, and manage check-out procedures for an educational/ research resource center including classroom experiment tools, demonstration materials, academic games, classroom activities, etc.
- Develop student career and professional development resource library.
- Regularly update the psychology on-line NGO Tool Kit with new materials submitted by faculty and students.
- Support faculty in developing Web-based databases of resources such as database of community partners, referral Website for counseling MA graduates.
- Organize and publicize department research presentations, lectures, workshops, and conferences in coordination with Department assistant to chair, HUSS communication officer, the office of University communication.
- Organize research conferences and public events for courses such as PSYC 2100 Research Methods for psychology semester conference, PSYC 5243 annual “prevention competition”, and expert guest speakers.
- Offer technical and design support for faculty and course-based public awareness and media campaigns related to psychology.
- Participate in the organization committees for public events or multi-day conferences; document meeting minutes.
- Develop Web tools for organizing conferences such as proposal review system, multi-track session scheduling, registration forms and on-line payment, conference program, etc., identify and modify existing conference development software.
- Coordinate with other offices and entities key tasks of conferences or public events including room reservations; catering, audio-visuals, room set-up, transportation, etc.
- Coordinate with external companies or entities conference organizing tasks such as simultaneous translation, entertainment, external catering, venue reservations, etc.
- Inform campus security of guests coming for research meetings or public events.
- Design and develop annual departmental newsletter and periodic special publications or reports, coordinate content of publications with faculty and students, disseminate publications to wider audience.
- Design and distribute publicity materials for events including e-mail announcements, notices in University events calendar, student portal messages, fliers, posters.
- Develop promotional materials for graduate program recruitment.
- Develop promotional materials and publications for events by psychology training clinic and other departmental programs.
- Coordinate printing and duplicating of publicity and promotional materials with campus Copy Center and Assistant to Chair.
- Monitor events and accomplishments in the department to relay suggested announcements or stories to HUSS Communication and University Communication, and to update the Website.
- Coordinate with Communication office regarding media releases and communication with external media.
- Develop and regularly update the Psychology Department website in coordination with the Communication Office and the UACT; create new pages as needed; perform beginning of semester maintenance regarding the updates in faculty lists and any changes in the programs offered by the department, perform maintenance and updates to the existing web page as requested by the faculty.
Minimum Education Requirement: Bachelor degree, preferably in psychology or social sciences.
Experience: Five to seven years of previous experience, including two years in relevant field.
- High proficiency levels in English and Arabic
- Excellent computer skills (software, hardware, Internet)
- Creativity and design/publishing software skills
- Ability to multi-task
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Very organized and detailed oriented
- Independent worker, self-starter
Position is open until October 3, 2017
Placement is based on the candidate’s experience and skills. Only candidates who make it to the short list will be contacted. If interested, please send an updated and detailed resume to firstname.lastname@example.org, stating “50011252 Senior Coordinator II, Psychology HUB” in the subject line.
“We thank all individuals who have expressed interest in working at The American University in Cairo."