Lifeguard Coordinator, Office of Athletics (50017526)
Reports to: Manager of Athletics for Aquatics, Office of Athletics
Purpose: This position oversees activities in the swimming pool and surrounding facilities such as the locker room and pool deck areas. The lifeguard coordinator interacts with other sports center staff and emergency medical personnel as required, and serves as the primary contact for all aquatic activities in the absence of the assistant athletic director for aquatics. Under general supervision, ensures the safety of patrons of the AUC aquatic facility by preventing and responding to emergencies. Assist in the training, scheduling, and administration of the swimming pool.
- Maintain constant surveillance of patrons in and around the swimming pool facility; act immediately and appropriately to secure safety of patrons in the event of an emergency.
- Provide emergency care and treatment as required until the arrival of emergency medical services.
- Perform various maintenance duties around the pool deck and office as directed to maintain a clean and safe facility such as straightening deck chairs/umbrellas, checking lifeguard and pool equipment, clocks, etc...
- Prepare and maintain appropriate activity reports. This is not limited to, but including filling out incident report forms if any occur throughout the day. If an incident with a patron occurs, their info must be written (including student ID) on an incident report form along with mention of it in the daily logbook and report to security if necessary.
- Conduct water tests to produce accurate readings and maintain appropriate records. Perform daily pool chemical tests of the water quality to be written in the daily logbook.
- Enforce pool rules related to conduct, attire, swimming ability, etc...
- Administer and record patron swim proficiency tests.
- Perform miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned including removing/putting in lane lines, timing system, water polo setup etc...
- Watch pool along with surrounding deck space.
- Assist in scheduling lifeguards, to include securing substitutes for other guards when necessary.
- Assist in compiling and recording work hours to ensure proper payment of the life guarding staff.
- Work with the manager for aquatics, develop, administer, and evaluate all training sessions and testing of the lifeguards, both initial, and ongoing.
- Interact with the office of athletics administrative assistant, as required, to ensure posted pool signage is clear, up to date, and reflects all required information.
- Maintain proper staffing and operation of the swimming facility in the absence of the manager for aquatics.
- Follow set rules to ensure proper run of the swimming pool.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
Minimum Education Requirement: University degree is required.
Experience: A minimum of four years of previous experience including at least two years as a lifeguard.
- Ability to react calmly and efficiently in emergency situations.
- Skill in the application of life guarding surveillance and rescue techniques.
- Ability to pass a pre-employment physical skill evaluation as stipulated by the department.
- Ability to prepare routine administrative paperwork.
- Knowledge and demonstration of CPR and emergency medical procedures.
- Ability to follow routine verbal and written instructions.
- Knowledge of customer service standards and procedures.
- Ability to pass a timed 400 meters swim fitness test.
Position is open until filled
Placement is based on the candidate’s experience and skills. Only candidates who make it to the short list will be contacted. If interested, please send an updated and detailed resume to firstname.lastname@example.org, stating “50017526 Lifeguard Coordinator” in the subject line.
“We thank all individuals who have expressed interest in working at The American University in Cairo."