Lifeguard, Office of Athletics (50017529)
Reports to: Manager of Athletics for Aquatic
Purpose: Under general supervision, the job holder should ensure the safety of patrons of the AUC aquatic facility by preventing and responding to emergencies. Assist in the training, scheduling, and administration of the swimming pool.
- Maintains constant surveillance of patrons in and around the swimming pool facility; acts immediately and appropriately to secure safety of patrons in the event of an emergency.
- Provides emergency care and treatment as required until the arrival of emergency medical services.
- Must adhere to using protective equipment when intervening in the event of incident or emergency.
- Performs various maintenance duties around the pool deck and office as directed to maintain a clean and safe facility such as straightening deck chairs/umbrellas, checking lifeguard and pool equipment and clocks.
- Prepares and maintains appropriate activity reports. This is not limited to, but including filling out incident report forms. If an incident with a patron occurs, their information must be written (including student ID) on an incident report form along with the daily logbook and report to security if necessary.
- Conducts water tests to produce accurate readings and maintain appropriate records. Must perform daily pool chemical tests of the water quality to be written in the daily logbook.
- Enforce pool rules related to conduct, attire and swimming ability.
- As necessary, administer user swim proficiency tests.
- Performs miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned including removing/putting in lane lines, timing system, and water polo setup.
- Pool must always be watched along with surrounding deck space.
- Rules to be followed to ensure proper run of the swimming pool:
- Presents professional appearance and attitude at all times, and maintains a high standard of customer service. Uniform must be worn at all times. Other clothes such as jeans are not allowed. Pool shoes and swimsuit must also be worn in case of an emergency. No sneakers.
- Lifeguard must sit in designated chair with rescue tube at all times when patron(s) are in the pool.
- Depending on number of people in the pool, more than one lifeguard may be required to watch pool and may monitor pool on foot as needed.
- Must always be on time and not leave shift early.
- No mobile phones, electronic devices, books, or any other item that would provide distraction should be in hand of lifeguard when on duty. Mobile phones must remain in the lifeguard's office when on duty or locked in personal locker.
- Lifeguards must work in shifts as designated per day, and guard may not be in chair for more than 30 minutes at a time to maintain focus.
- Vacation request must be sent to the swimming pool's director at least one week in advance in order to be approved. Vacation time with less than one week notice will not be approved.
- No laptops allowed in the swimming pool's office or on the pool deck unless entire shift is completed.
- Physical fitness and skills must be maintained and will be examined on a yearly basis. Failure to maintain both may be subject to dismissal.
- Lifeguard should report any behavioral concerns to management to minimize risk of misconduct by fellow colleagues.
Minimum Education Requirement: University degree is required.
- A minimum of four years of previous experience including at least two years as a lifeguard.
- A lifesaving and CPR certificate is required from the Egyptian Diving and Lifesaving Federation.
- Ability to react calmly and efficiently in emergency situations.
- Skill in the application of life guarding surveillance and rescue techniques.
- Ability to pass a pre-employment physical skill evaluation as stipulated by the department.
- Ability to prepare routine administrative paperwork.
- Knowledge and demonstration of CPR and emergency medical procedures.
- Ability to follow routine verbal and written instructions.
- Knowledge of customer service standards and procedures.
- Ability to pass a timed 400-meter swim fitness test.
- Ability to pass routine rescue test put in place by the manager of athletics for aquatics.
- Must have basic English proficiency.
Position is open till filled
Placement is based on the candidate’s experience and skills. Only candidates who make it to the short list will be contacted. If interested, please send an updated and detailed resume to firstname.lastname@example.org stating “50017529 Lifeguard, Office of Athletics” in the subject line.
“We thank all individuals who have expressed interest in working at The American University in Cairo."