Lead Buyer – Procurement Services - Supply Chain Management (10001844)
Reports to: Assistant Director, Sourcing and Procurement
Purpose: Responsible for the sourcing and procurement process of the University requirements from goods and services from any point on globe in the most competitive and timely manner, assist in handling the administrative functions related to the processing of the university needs and requirements. Achieving cost savings and maintaining quality performance. Participate in supplier selection and negotiation processes. Analyze market and delivery systems in order to assess present and future material availability and sources. Procures equipment, supplies and services for assigned area and in accordance with University guidelines; reviews requisitions and bid specifications and negotiates purchase agreements or supply contracts; determines vendor sources, product needs and availability. The position requires a high degree of maturity, being conscientious and ethical to ensure control and the proper responsible expenditure of university funds.
- Develop a first-class service organization that responds effectively to inquiries and engenders trust from the University community.
- Responsible for the purchase and acquisition of University goods and services.
- Achieve cost savings and maintain quality performance.
- Participate in developing and implementing the University purchasing policies and procedures.
- Determine proper sources of supply for most economical purchases from most competitive locally or international markets and to develop and maintain high level contact with key suppliers and service personnel.
- Initiate, draft, negotiate and administer the purchase orders and contracts related to the purchasing process.
- Perform critical purchasing functions related to the implementation, development, management and administration of the automated SAP system related to the procurement process
- Analyze market and delivery systems to assess present and future material availability and sources.
- Support in leading any new internal initiative project.
- Responsible of internal project implementation to increase buying efficiency, including planning, implementation and execution phases.
- Handle the vendors assessment, as needed.
- Work with the assistant director and buying director in remapping of suppliers’ portfolios to increase the quality of the vendors per each cluster.
- Prepare monthly and quarterly reports for all handled purchases.
- Represent the university in negotiating contracts and formulating policies with suppliers. Prepare reports regarding market conditions and merchandise costs. Review purchase order claims and contracts for conformance to university policy. Resolve vendor or contractor grievances, and claims against suppliers.
- Effective proactive liaison with other departments as necessary to forecast, plan to meet, and to supply demand to relevant quality.
- Review local/international procurement requisitions and orders against the requisitioned budget to ensure availability of funds and oversee the types and sources of funds, object codes and their relationship to the required goods and services, determine method to process requisitions based on cost, time constraints, existing open contracts and/or competitive bidding.
- Reviews and analyzes purchase requisitions and contracts, and ensures they are in accordance with relevant laws, policies and requirements.
- Maintain and keep approved and qualified vendors lists, records and files; update them by contacting vendors to get the latest information; and circulate them periodically for interested persons and departments.
- Invite, review, check and compare quotations on bid terms, delivery dates and prices with the suppliers; survey the various markets, studying trends; and remain advised on new developments and products. Lead vendor selection and negotiation processes, requires frequent visits to local markets, around two to three times weekly; for price checks is a must as needed.
- Meets with sales representatives to develop new vendor sources, updates records and secures demos for departments.
- Take part in writing request for proposals (RFPs), requests for quotes (RFQ) and formal bids.
- Assist in evaluating competitive offerings to determine the overall best offer for a product/service and the appropriate methods of procurement; conduct negotiation with potential suppliers to obtain agreement on pricing, delivery and other terms.
- Prepare reports, investigate complaints and secure adjustments, ensure standard compliance with legal requirements and make recommendations as to commodities which can be economically purchased on a contract basis.
- Review, analyze and recommend solutions to purchasing problems and transactions.
- Professionally resolve problems (both internal and external) in a fair and ethical manner while protecting the long term interests of the university; resolve quality and payment problems with vendors.
- Review product specifications, performance and payment terms, and/or acceptance criteria.
- Participate in the preparation of specifications for equipment, products or substitute materials. Review and evaluate specifications for issuing and awarding bids.
- Maintain records of goods ordered and received; route, follow-up and expedite orders; ensure that materials are delivered to user departments.
- Develop effective relationship with suppliers and other internal departments, respond effectively to inquiries and engender trust from the University community.
- Coordinates with internal and external customers to identify needs and refine specifications.
- Comply with the AUC internal business policies and procedures.
- Ensure a proper filing system of all local/international purchasing related documentation. Maybe responsible for preparing, overseeing and providing documents for audit purposes.
- Plan, direct and coordinate the activities of other junior buyer(s), if requested.
- Perform other related duties as assigned
Minimum Education Requirement:
- Bachelor's degree in a relevant field.
- SCM certification(s) will be an asset.
- Minimum of eight years of relevant experience within corporate and multinational companies, with at least five years in management.
- Experience in a corporate environment is an asset.
- Strong knowledge of supply chain management best practices.
- Strong communication skills, analytical skills, leadership skills, working under stress, high level of tolerance, problem solving, and diplomatic, strategic thinking.
- Professional user of E.R.P, knowledge of SAP is an advantage.
- Detailed oriented with high numerical skills.
- High organizational skills.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Extensive negotiation skills.
- High capability to manage multitasks simultaneously.
- Must have a demonstrated passion for excellent customer service and commitment to exceptional quality.
Position is open until June 20, 2018
Placement is based on the candidate’s experience and skills. Only candidates who make it to the short list will be contacted. If interested, please send an updated and detailed resume to firstname.lastname@example.org, stating “10001844 Lead Buyer– Procurement Services” in the subject line.
“We thank all individuals who have expressed interest in working at The American University in Cairo."