Principal Accountant, Grants Accounting, Controller's Office (10001610)
Reports to: Director, Grant’s Accounting
Purpose: Under general direction, this position is responsible for maintaining a portfolio of grants that consists of a number of federally funded grants besides international and private organizations and foundations funded grants.
- Responsible for posting all relevant journal entries, transactions, and corrections in the project/financial module of the SAP accounting software.
- Issues disbursements charged to grants and contracts after checking the costs allowability, allocability, and reasonableness, necessity for the grants program and activities, budget availability and ensure the disbursement request is sufficiently documented and properly approved.
- Ensures accurate and timely postings of costs and revenues associated with externally funded grants and integrity of data in AUC accounting system.
- Reviews and validates requests for charges to be disbursed from human resources, travel office, and supply chain development management to ensure expenses compliance with sponsors requirements and AUC policies and procedures and the use of proper accounting assignment.
- Develops financial reports and prepares Standard forms (required by federal grants) or other standard forms required by other sponsors.
- Prepares journal entries and offsets forwarded by grant recipient departments after checking the costs compliance with the sponsor requirements and AUC regulations.
- Posts incoming funds to sponsor account in SAP.
- Assists with time and effort reporting system, ensuring it is complete and in compliance with applicable regulations.
- Carries out any other tasks assigned by the grants accounting manager.
Minimum Education Eequirement:
- Bachelor's degree in accounting, business, finance, or other related field.
- Training on Federal cost principles is preferable.
- Five to seven years of experience in accounting.
- Previous experience with externally funded project is preferable.
- Excellent command of English language.
- Accounting and bookkeeping skills.
- Strong computer skills.
- Excellent knowledge of Microsoft Excel.
- Ability to design, analyze, and prepare financial reports.
- Ability to monitor expenditures and maintain data.
Position is open until May 23 , 2018
Placement is based on the candidate’s experience and skills. Only candidates who make it to the short list will be contacted. If interested, please send an updated and detailed resume to firstname.lastname@example.org, stating “10001610 Principal Accountant” in the subject line.
“We thank all individuals who have expressed interest in working at The American University in Cairo."