Executive Assistant to Chair, Philosophy Department (10001328 )
Reports to: Department Chair
Purpose: Oversee, coordinate and implement a variety of departmental academic and student programs, which include budgeting, program implementation, record keeping and supervision of administrative staff under the direction of the department chair.
The job entails acting as a coordinator for faculty affairs which include but is not limited to overseeing procedures of promotion/tenure cases, faculty recruitment.
Due to the nature of the academic department, this job acts, as an advisor to Chair for all administrative aspects.
- Maintain Chair’s calendar and prepare required meetings’ material. Maintain a database of mailing addresses, phone numbers and addresses for faculty members (full time & adjunct faculty), staff, undergraduate students, and graduate assistants and fellows.
- Prepare different statistics required to facilitate decision making. For example, ratios of full time faculty versus adjunct, faculty/student ratio, and students’ enrollments.
- Provide the Chair with list of faculty vacancies, faculty contract renewals, faculty promotion/tenure and faculty leaves.
- Inform the department chair of anticipated catalog changes and prepare catalog changes forms to be submitted to the Dean. Handle catalog changes proof-reading and send them to the Provost’s Office.
- Provide essential information to assist in the yearly process of course building and planning. Issue statistics of enrollment for schedule preparation, draft the schedule of courses to fit students’ demands and faculty prioritization of courses and time preferences, meet time slots allocated to the department, and post on Banner. Manage adjustment to the schedule necessitated by changes in department personnel at last minute in coordination with the Dean of School and Registrar.
- Responsible and maintain SAP operations eg. fund reservations, purchase requisitions, supply store orders, travel arrangements, overtime, annual leaves…etc. Take partial role on faculty support grants of full time faculty for the department on SAP.
- Access the Banner account to have access to student files upon request from faculty, class lists and enrollment figures also upon request and for analysis…etc.
- Access the Documentum project and post department decision.
- Recommend undergraduate declaration/change of majors and minors, prepare reports and refer cases to Department Chair for approval. Prepare reports on individual students’ cases and petitions and submit initial recommendations to Department Chair for final decision.
- Coordinate with IT/Communication & Marketing about department website update and maintenance based on the guidance of Chair; monitor website compliance with IT guidelines, events etc…
- Supervise and organize event and program brochures, flyers, banners and other publicity material if required.
- Request book orders every semester for faculty and follow on their delivery with required parties.
- Assist in preparing the department assessment and strategic plans, and access the Mapping Assessment and Planning Software and upload the plans and reports.
- Prepare the undergraduate and graduate degrees’ accreditation and re-accreditation.
- Access the CareerWeb software, and post job/internship positions and evaluations.
- Assess Department’s need for furnishing or refurbishing of premises, provide recommendations to Chair. Responsible for the maintenance of equipment and contracts if any, and department inventory.
- Act as a liaison between HR Department and Academic department by preparing and coordinating appointments of staff, follow up on requested promotions, attendance, overtime, leaves, administer performance appraisal process and provide recommendations to the Chair… etc. Maintain a file for each employee at the department level.
- Supervise department staff and provide guidance for different administrative functions carried.
- Advise and prepare departmental budget requirements for each fiscal year, responsible for data entry to the planning matrix.
- monthly revision of budget expenses.
- Manage petty cash expenses and reimbursement.
- Receive graduate admission files, review them and refer files to graduate selection committee for review and action. Arrange for and manage the applicants interviewing by the selection committee. Record committee’s feedback and communicate the results to the Dean of Graduate Studies. Keep record of new admission letters for accepted students.
- Supervise graduate students’ advising, releasing holds, and registration in classes.
- Supervise graduate students’ theses submission.
- In charge of undergraduate students’ advising regarding their choice of courses and four-year plan, releasing holds on Banner, and registration of classes.
- Answer enrolled graduate and undergraduate students’ regular departmental inquiries and requests.
- Inform graduate and undergraduate students of the University rules, regulations, and catalog changes.
- Communicate with the registrar’s office in issues and problems pertaining to individual students or classes.
- Supervise the administration of student evaluations and assist in grade reports.
- Prepare appointments of graduate assistants, and fellows.
- Supervise, direct and evaluate the Work-Study Program undergraduate and graduate students.
- Receive students’ on-line drop and overload requests, review them
- Facilitate interview logistics through managing the Interview Exchange software, assisting in the administration of faculty selection, keeping a list of qualified faculty applicants in view of Faculty Hiring Committee recommendations; administer all logistics for the interviewing process, and documenting Committee’s recommendations, and issuing approval and apology letters to applicants.
- Organize DVP and visiting lecturer’s travel and accommodation; processing honorarium and per diem payments, reserving dinner and refreshments, and reserving airline tickets and airport transportation.
- Coordinate faculty retreats and special events.
- Advise new faculty of University and departmental policies and procedures.
- Prepare faculty teaching loads for approval by the Dean’s Office and make the request of contract for adjunct professor.
- Arrange faculty support grants committee meetings, send evaluations and reports to the Dean’s Office.
- Prepare placement of new Adjunct faculty.
- Review the prepared promotion/tenure cases for Chair’s review/approval, assemble and prepare faculty dossier for committee and department Chair review and recommendation.
- Maintain a data base for full time faculty teaching priorities, research, interests and specializations, and a file for each faculty at the department level.
- Performs other job-related duties as assigned.
Minimum education requirement: University Degree; in a relative field of concerned department is an asset
Experience: A minimum of 10 years of relevant experience, preferably in an academic setting.
- Excellent interpersonal, communication and management skills and demonstrated ability to take initiative is required.
- Must be extremely well organized and detail oriented.
- Demonstrated ability to work under pressure, to multi-task and to be self-motivated essential.
- Excellent computer skills, knowledge of SAP is an asset.
- High level of confidentiality and attention to details.
- High level of commitment to provide excellent customer service.
- Excellent English & Arabic.
Position is open until October 4, 2018
Placement is based on the candidate’s experience and skills. Only candidates who make it to the short list will be contacted. If interested, please send an updated and detailed resume to firstname.lastname@example.org, stating “10001328 Executive Assistant to Chair” in the subject line.
“We thank all individuals who have expressed interest in working at The American University in Cairo.”