Associate Dean for Industrial Partnerships and Extended Education, Engineering and Science Services, School of Science and Engineering (50015251)
Reports to: Dean, School of Sciences and Engineering
Purpose: The associate dean provides strategic direction for Industrial Partnerships and Extended Education pertinent to the School of Sciences and Engineering-related programs, core facility and services. This includes coordinating with all of the relevant directors reporting to the associate dean on matters related to activities, programs, staff and budgetary issues. The holder of the position coordinates with the dean, associate dean for undergraduate studies and administration and associate dean for graduate studies and research, members of Engineering and Science Services (ESS) strategic advisory board, SSE council, chairs of departments and directors of center within the school, other university personnel on behalf of the SSE in different issues whenever required. The holder of the position coordinates with various school partners, associates as well as potential leads and opportunities for collaboration with businesses and industries, chambers of commerce, business and associations and networks across different sectors, as well as international professional licensure.
The associate dean works closely with the dean and strategic advisory board to establish a charter. He/she is responsible for overseeing daily operations of the unit per established and establishing standard-operating procedures for employees, participating AUC faculty compensation, and part-time instructor qualifications, contracts and accountability.
Working closely with the dean and an internal advisory board, the ESS director responsibilities include:
- Establish a charter for ESS and a charter for executive work, and accountability, with the help of the legal department/advisor.
- Oversee daily operations of the unit as well as establish appropriate standard-operating procedures for employees, participating AUC faculty compensation, and part-time instructor qualifications, contracts and accountability
- Create and implement a strategy designed to maintain and grow ESS’s dynamic activities in light of industrial and professional needs
- Develop key performance goals for functions, direct reports, and monitoring of outcomes
- Develop and implement long-range goals and objectives to meet business and profitability growth objectives
- Ensure the development of tactical programs to pursue targeted goals and objectives
- Hire and retain talented individuals for key functions
- Conduct biannual self-audit, reviewing activities, costs, operations and forecast data to determine progress toward stated goals and objectives
- Communicate strategy and results to the unit's employees and school administration
- Rationalize staff allocation and resources optimization across all units
- Report key results to the dean and advisory board
- Participate in school council to liaison with council members regarding activities, needs, and governance, where applicable
- Conduct economic analysis and market studies to increase market penetration
- Promote extended education programs and licensure regionally and globally
- Improve the processes and service deliverables including regular revision of all extended education processes, personnel and logistics to better serve programs participants and improve quality and efficiency
- Develop in collaboration with the faculty and/or chairs administration and the senior manager of finance, the planning, budgeting process and financial analysis for extended education
- Enhance the integration of extended education within the school to maximize synergies, leverage partnerships and stakeholder engagement
- Support the school-wide efforts and activities to strengthen, integrate and expand the internationalization aspects
- Incubate new initiatives that build on areas of school strengths, e.g. innovation, programmatic licensure of graduates
- Structure stakeholder engagement in the school for widest impact to include extended education alumni, clients and SSE resources
- Support marketing of graduate degree programs and increase regional presence through structured business development activities
- Ensure consistency of message and quality of communication channels across the school
- Liaison with the dean and legal office regarding contracts, revenue streams, service providers and faculty
- Attend various committees meetings at the school and university level whenever required
- Performs any other related tasks as assigned by the dean.
Minimum Education Requirement: Bachelor's degree and PhD with engineering or science background. An MBA is a plus
Experience: Minimum of ten years of experience with at least five years of directing a similar business model with a strong industrial network, inclusive of academic-business partnerships
- Familiarity with market analyses and changes in professional regulations
- Knowledge of business operations and procedures
- Demonstrable strategic thinking abilities
- Analytical mind with a problem-solving aptitude
- Organizational and leadership skills
- Strong verbal and written communication abilities
- Effective decision-making skills
- Experience with developing budgets and writing business plans
- Experience with project management
- Familiarity with local and international industries, professions and certification standards
- Articulate and fluent professional communications in English and Arabic
Position is open until September 9, 2018
Placement is based on the candidate’s experience and skills. Only candidates who make it to the shortlist will be contacted. If interested, please send an updated and detailed resume to firstname.lastname@example.org, stating “50015251 Associate Dean for Industrial Partnerships and Extended Education” in the subject line.
“We thank all individuals who have expressed interest in working at The American University in Cairo."