- What is Video Conference:
It allows two or more locations to interact through transmitting high quality video and audio simultaneously over the internet or ISDN. Most systems also provide a way to share content located in a computer like Microsoft word, Excel, or Power Point Presentation.
Video Conference is used for:
- Dialogue between two groups of students in different universities.
- Remote master thesis defense.
- New Faculty and staff interview.
- Video Conference at AUC:
Many Schools, departments and offices at The American University in Cairo, have one or more video conference systems installed for the use of their faculty, staff and students. In addition to these private use setups the university have five setups for public use, three of them are located in the New Campus and the other two are in Tahrir Campus. All video conference setups have the ability to initiate and receive TCP/IP call up to 1024KB and up to 512KB over ISDN. The video conference setup in AUC is classified to administration and academic use.
1- Administration Video Conference:
- President Conference room.
- Provost Conference room.
- Administration video conference room.
2- Academic Video Conference:
The university has 4 Public academic video conference setup and 4 private setups:
- Public Video Conference setups:
Room C124 in Parcel 9 New Campus
Room 1123 in Parcel 5 New Campus
Room 213 Falaki Academic Center 1 Tahrir Campus.
- Private Video Conference Setups:
School of Science and Engineering Room 2131 and 2110.
School of Business Room 2133
For reservation you should send and email to firstname.lastname@example.org one week in advance before the actual conference date. The mail should include the following information:
- Your Name, Mobile #, office Ext. Email address, Department name.
- Date & Time of the conference (Cairo Time).
- Conference Duration Time.
- Number of Participant
- Destination site information:
- IP address or ISDN number.
- Contact Details, name, phone number and email address of far end contact
- Ensure that the room you are scheduled to use has the necessary potential for any instructional media you plan to use for your presentation and it is also a good idea to test your materials in the room beforehand and its essential to be before the time in the room if you would like confirm the final setup.
- We have the ability to record the video conference session on the Network Video Recorder (NVR) to be accessed later as on-demand from the NVR Classroom Technologies and Media Services (CTMS) offer another way by copying the video and bring it to the client to watch it on his personal computer, the format of the recorded file is (MP4).
- It has a very powerful on demand server that provides controlled access to all stored video whether it's live video that was recorded from a network, or branded content purchased or a digitized media converted and uploaded to the server.
Users: To open an account for life streaming and video on-demand, you should send an email to email@example.com with the following information:
- Full name
- Category (Faculty/Staff/Student)
- Phone Ext.
- Email user name
- Account options:
- Watching life TV
- Watching recorded files
- Expert ion date.
Digitizing and Uploading
- Any material to be uploaded to the VOD server should follow the copyright procedures or have a permission from the author to digitize the the material.
- The material should have one of the following format MPEG-1, MPEG-2, MPEG-4 or WM
- Live Streaming
- Materials could be recorded from any selected channels (movies, drama, entertainment..) on the Video on-demand server. The user account should have the privilege of recording to his account.
- If the user account has the privilege of recording and scheduling, recording could be scheduled to record any set of events, drama or movies at different times/dates.
- The VOD server provide up to 50 MB bandwidth to the end user (20 concurrent users can watch the same video if the video bandwidth is 2.5 MB or 50 users if the video bandwidth is 1 MB)
TV live streaming
- The American University in Cairo providing the live TV channels to many locations in the New Campus like the Arabic Language Institute (ALI), Students Hostel, Sports department, Faculty lounge, Alumni and Student lounges. Previously in Down Town Campus the university had installed many satellite antennas with TV receivers to provide TV channels to each location, while in The New Campus there is one centralized system to distribute the same service with complete control, management and efficiency.
- Channels Classification:
- Sports (free to air and prepaid)
- News ( Arabic & English)
- Movies (Arabic & English)
- Entertainment (Arabic & English)
- The end user can watch the streaming TV channels on a TV, LCD or plasma screen connected to a network IPTV receiver or on his personal computer connected to the Local Area network.
- End User
- If the user have an IPTV receiver he can watch a group of channels with reference to his category, the channels were divided to many groups (News, Sports, English movies &drama, Entertainment), if the user need to buy LCD, plasma screen and receiver he can ask for technical recomendations from the CTMS staff.
- If the user would like to watch the live broadcasting on his personal computer, he should link to http://aucvod.aucegypt.edu and enter his user name and password, for the first time he should accept the download of athe plug-ins from the server to enable the received video to play on his computer. On the left side he will find a list of channels, double click on the channel name to activate it.
In this section
- Office of Information Technology
- University Technology Infrastructure
- Google Form
- IT Service Catalog
- A to Z Services List
- Classroom Technologies and Media Services
- IT Security Unit
- University Academic Computing Technologies
- University Information Systems