The Parents Association (PA) is the voice of parents and family members in the AUC community. Comprised of parents of undergraduate students, the committee works to foster a partnership between parents and the University to communicate concerns and suggestions. They are also responsible for managing a budget that contributes to the enhancement of students’ academic experience. The PA holds an annual fundraising activities which are geared toward sponsoring student activities like Model Arab League, Model United Nations, environmental activities and scholarship. The PA also sponsors awards for academic excellence, undergraduate teaching, sports achievements, environmental awareness research, and a photography competition. The PA offers a scholarship each year to a student in financial need and also honors exceptional faculty and students with two distinguished awards:
- Parents Association Cup: a cup awarded twice yearly to a graduating senior who demonstrates unusual capability in blending academic achievement with a major contribution to student activities.
- The Omar Mohsen Athletic Achievement Cup
The association is made up of an elected president, vice president, board members and parent volunteers. The board is nominated by election, and the PA Board holds elections every two years. Six new members are chosen, while five from the former board stay on to pass on their knowledge onto the new members. All AUC parents receive emails with the online nomination form to nominate themselves. The current PA Board reviews all the submitted nominations and creates a shortlist that becomes the final list the parents will vote on during an event on campus specifically created for this purpose. The PA holds regular meetings and events, and all current parents are invited to participate.
To Qualify as a Candidate for Election:
- Complete application.
- Wait for acceptance of nomination to be sent personally by mail.
- Prepare and deliver a five-minute speech to be presented on election day presentation should summarize for attendees your background experience and how and why you believe you can best serve parents.
- Wait for the results of voting on election day.
The Election Process:
- For elections to be considered valid, there must be a quorum of 50 parents attending the election during the first hour.
- If fewer than 50 parents attend the election meeting during the first hour, the election meeting will re-start again with a quorum of 15 attendees in order to be considered a valid election meeting.
- After hearing speeches of nominees, each attendee will vote on a special form.
- Votes will be counted by AUC admin staff in view of all parents attending.
- The winners will be announced.
Important Voting Guidelines:
- The system will allow only one vote per Student ID, so either a father or a mother but not both will be able to vote for one child. The same login password will be sent to both parents' emails (if available).
- If you have two children enrolled, you may vote twice. The number of votes you can submit is equal to the number of enrolled children you have.
- Of the total number of PA Board candidates that you see online, kindly select your top FIVE choices. The PA Board needs to elect five full time new members.