El-Idreesy is an associate professor of chemistry at the School of Sciences and Engineering at The American University in Cairo. El-Idreesy was awarded his bachelor degree in Chemistry from Cairo University in 1996 (distinction with honors) and his PhD (Dr. rer. nat.) from the University of Cologne, Germany in 2005 (distinction with honors, summa cum laude). He is the recipient of the Kurt-Alder Award for the best PhD thesis in chemistry in 2005 from the University of Cologne, Germany. In 2006, he joined the University of California at Davis, United States as a postdoctoral fellow and in 2009, he received the prestigious fulbright scholarship to join the University of Wyoming, United States as a fulbright visiting scholar. In recognition of his academic achievements, El-Idreesy received several awards such as Cairo University Incentive Award in Basic Sciences (Chemistry) in 2009 and the Egyptian State Incentive Award in Chemistry in 2010. In 2012, El-Idreesy was promoted to associate professor of chemistry and in 2017, he joined the Department of Chemistry at the School of Sciences and Engineering at The American University in Cairo.
- Photochemistry of singlet oxygen and carbonyl compounds.
- Synthesis of antimalarial pharmaceutical compounds.
- Photoelectron transfer sensitizers.
- Heterocyclic synthesis and design of medicinal compounds.
- Green chemistry and solvent-free approach using catalysts bound to polymer nanoparticles in organic synthesis.
- Plant waste biomasses as natural biosorbents for the removal of pollutants.
- Ene-Reactions with Singlet Oxygen.
- Axel G. Griesbeck, Tamer T. El-Idreesy, Waldemar Adam, and Oliver Krebs.
- In CRC Handbook of Organic Photochemsitry and Phobiology, William M. Horspool, Phil-S. Song (Hrsg) CRC Press: Boca Raton, 2004, 8/1-8/20
Awards and Honors
- “Certificate for Recognition of Academic Achievements in 2014” by the Faculty of Engineering, The British University in Egypt.
- “Best Paper in Heterocyclic Chemistry Award” awarded by the Egyptian Heterocyclic Chemical Society in 2013.
- “Recognition Award Medal of the Department of Chemistry, Faculty of Science, Cairo University” in 2012
- “Recognition Award Plaque of the Faculty of Science, Cairo University” in 2012
- “Recognition Award Plaque of Cairo University” in 2011
- “Egyptian State Incentive Award in Basic Sciences (Chemistry)in 2010”
- “Fulbright Grant” - Fulbright Scholar Program 2009/2010
- “Cairo University Incentive Award in Basic Science in 2009”
- “Partnership and Ownership Initiative” launched by the Ministry of Higher Education, Egypt.
- “Cairo University International Publication Awards”
- “Kurt-Alder Prize” for the best Ph.D. thesis in 2005, University of Cologne, Germany.
- Honorary paragraph in the German newspaper “Kölner Stadt-Anzeiger” in 2005.
- Honorary paragraph in the German newspaper “Kölnische Rundschau” in 2005.
- “Prof. Dr. Abd El-Fattah Ismael Prize” for the top three graduates in the Department of Chemistry, Faculty of Science, Cairo University.
- “Mr. Mohammed Ibrahim Khalil Prize” for the top ten graduates in the Department of Chemistry, Faculty of Science, Cairo University.