Nagwa Sherif is a professor of architectural engineering at The American University in Cairo. She holds a PhD degree from University of Montreal, Canada in 1984; an MS of environmental design from University of Montreal, Canada in 1979, and a BS in architectural engineering from Cairo University in 1973.
Sherif served as an adjunct faculty at the Department of Construction Engineering at The American University in Cairo for eight years, and was then appointed as a full time faculty in Fall 2009 till now. Sherif served as associate chair of the Department of Construction and Architectural Engineering from 2011 to 2016. She has been initiating, developing and teaching a number of new courses at AUC since Spring 2000. She also introduced a new diploma, including a set of courses in interior design at the Engineering Services Department. Previously, she was a professor of architecture at the Faculty of Engineering, Cairo University, as well as at the Architecture-Building Technology credit-hour program at Cairo University.
Since 1985, Sherif has supervised a number of MS and PD research projects in the domains of architectural engineering, human and socio-cultural needs in architecture and urban design. She was the vice principal investigator researcher of the research project: "Social, Psychological and Health Aspects of Housing Design and Neighborhood Planning,” a grant awarded by the Academy of Scientific Research and Technology, Housing and Building National Research Centre. She also participated in the multidisciplinary research funded by the National Council for Childhood and Motherhood, investigating the redesign of elementary school buildings to accommodate the integration of disabled children in the mainstream public education system.
Sherif participated in the study and implementation of the minor of architecture at the construction engineering department and then was an active member in the academic committee responsible for the initiation and implementation of the architectural engineering program at The American University in Cairo, as well as the recent autonomy of the Architectural Department. She was also active in the academic advising for undergraduate students at the Construction and Architectural Engineering Department and now at the newly born department of architecture. Sherif has successfully led the architectural engineering program to be validated by the international validation body UNESCO/UIA in 2012.
In the past, she has been the program coordinator for post graduate architectural studies in the Department of Architectural Engineering at Cairo University and the chair of the committee responsible for the initiation and development of a new credit-hour postgraduate architectural studies program at the Department of Architectural Engineering, Cairo University.
Sherif is a professional engineer and registered at the Egyptian Syndicate, architectural section of the Society of Egyptian Architects. She is a member of the Environmental Design Research Association and the International Association for People and Environment Studies. She is a member in the committee of the Egyptian Building Code for the Disabled, Housing Research and Building Center as well as in the committee for the development of the Egyptian Code for Housing and Residential Environments. She is a partner and co-founder of a professional consulting office involved in a number of architectural and interior design national and international projects, winning prizes in international as well as local competitions.
- Shehayeb, D. Sherif, N. “Shaping young architects’ minds: Wearing the E-B glasses”, paper presented at the Symposium organized jointly by IAPS 20th Conference Urban Diversities, Biosphere and well-being : Cities, Cultural Diversity, and Design Pedagogy: Enhancing 'People-Environments' Paradigm in Education, Rome, Italy,(July 2008)
- Sherif, A., Sherif N, Mostafa M. ”Developing a New Architecture Curriculum: Achieving Educational Goals within Program Constraints” Paper accepted for publication and presented at the Oxford Conference, 50 years on “Resetting the Agenda for Architectural Education”, Oxford, UK (July, 2008)
- Sherif, N., Shafik, Z., Shehayeb, D., Integrating Human Studies into Design Education: Two Applied Approaches, International Symposium, jointly organized by IAPS-CSBE, ‘Culture & Space in the Built Environment Network’ and the IAPS - HOUSING Network, Istanbul, Turkey (2009)
- Lamei, M., Sherif, A., Sherif, N.,“Selection of Finishing Materials in the High Income Residential Compounds around Cairo”, paper accepted for publication in the International Conference on " Developing the New Urban Communities; Policies and Priorities " by the Ministry of Housing, Utilities and Urban Development and the Arab Urban Development Institute in Saudi Arabia and the International Urban Development Network in the Netherlands, that was held in Bibliotheca Alexandria, Egypt (2009).
- Sherif,,N., Shafik,Z., Shehayeb,D., “From space to place, the experience of Architectural students in the New Campus”, oral presentation given in the Old-New Campus Research Conference, The American University in Cairo (2009).
- Sherif, N. H. (Co-Author & Presenter), Sherif, A. H., Lamei, M., 37th IAHS World Congress on Housing Science: Design, Technology, Refurbishment and Management of Buildings, "The dilemma of high income residential compounds design in Egypt with respect to finishing materials," Santander, Spain. (October 2010).
- Sherif, N. “Integrating Environment-Behavior Studies in Architectural Education, an experiential design project”, paper accepted for presentation and publication in the First International Congress on Architectural Design, Teaching and Research, Bari, Italy, (May 2011)
- Gabr, H. & Sherif, N. “Pedestrian Use of Sidewalks and Streets in Cairo: Problems Identification and Improvement Strategies”, Submitted for presentation and publication International Congress of Humanities and Social Sciences Research, Paris France, (July, 2012)
- Sherif, N. Wifi, M. (Co-Author & Presenter), “Psychological influences of Colors and Artificial Lighting on the Design of Interior Spaces”, Human Sciences Research International Congress, Paris France, (July 2012)
- Sherif, N. H. (Author & Presenter), 39th International Association for Housing Science (IAHS) congress, "The Dilemma of Residential Compounds Design in Egypt," Milano, Italy. (September 2013).
- Sherif, N. H. & Hamdi,A. (Co-Author), 39th International Association for Housing Science (IAHS) World Congress on Housing, "The Search for Identity within a Society in Transformation," Milano, Italy. (September 2013).
- Sherif, N. H., Gabr, H., Shehata, L., Biennial IASTE conference, "Reconstructing Tradition in Contemporary Courtyard Houses in Egypt," Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. (December 2014).
- Sherif, N. H., El Zaafarany, N., International Association for the Study of Traditional Environments, "A city in transformation, Cairo new Public Realm," Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. (December 2014).
- Sherif, N. & Gabr, H., “Effect of campus design on human needs and educational objectives”, submitted for presentation and publication in the International Conference on Environmental Psychology - IAPS, A Coruña, Spain (September 2017).
Architectural Engineering, Interior Design, Human Needs in Architectural and Urban Design.