Nagla Rizk is a professor of economics and founding director of the Access to Knowledge for Development Center (A2K4D) at the School of Business, The American University in Cairo (AUC). She is also a faculty associate at the Berkman Klein Center for Internet and Society at Harvard University, an affiliated faculty of Harvard Law School's CopyrightX course, and an affiliated fellow of the Information Society Project at Yale Law School. Rizk is a member of the Executive Committee of the International Economic Association, a founding member of the Access to Knowledge Global, and a member of the steering committee of the Open African Innovation Research Partnership (Open AIR). She also served as an associate dean for graduate studies and research and chair of the economics department at AUC's School of Business. She taught at Columbia University, Yale Law School, and the University of Toronto.
- PhD, 1995, Economics, McMaster University, Canada
- MA and BA, 1987 and 1983, Economics, The American University in Cairo, Egypt
Awards and Certificates
- Excellence in Research and Creative Endeavors, AUC, June 2018
- AUC School of Business, Faculty Service Appreciation Award, 2016-2017
- AUC Distinguished Alumni Award, Spring 2016
- AUC School of Business Faculty Research Development Fund Award, Spring 2014
- Distinguished Visiting Research Professor, University of Ottawa Law School, Fall 2013
- Excellence in Research Award, School of Business, AUC, May 2013
- Certificate of Recognition for Outstanding Contribution to the School of Business, AUC, April 2013
- Provost’s Award, In recognition of outstanding efforts in organizing and co-chairing the 2012 AUC Research Conference, April 2012
- Excellence in Service Award, School of Business, AUC, Spring 2011
- School Nominee for Excellence in Research, School of Business, AUC, Spring 2010
- Certificate of Recognition for the participation in the life of Yale University as a Visiting Lecturer at the Law School, September – October 2010
- School Nominee for Excellence in Undergraduate Teaching, School of Business, Economics, and Communications, AUC, Spring 2005 and Spring 2006
- University Nominee for Excellence in Undergraduate Teaching, AUC, Spring 2002
- The Young Canadian Researchers Award, International Development Research Centre (IDRC), September 1989 – August 1991
- McMaster University Graduate Scholarship, September 1987 – August 1989
- Dean’s Honor’s List, AUC, 1980 – 1983
- National High School Award, Rank 10th nationwide
The American University in Cairo
- CopyrightX: The Economics of Copyright and Creativity (in partnership with Harvard Law School; adapted to students of economics at AUC)
- The Economics of Intellectual Property
- The Digital Economy: Information Technology and Economics
- Economic Development
- Economics of Egypt
- Statistics for Economists
- Introductory Macroeconomics
- Core Seminar
Columbia University, School of International and Public Affairs
- Developed and taught: Technology, Knowledge and Development: Perspectives Post Arab Spring (Spring 2014)
Yale Law School
Developed and taught: Technology, Knowledge and Development: Perspectives from Egypt and the Arab World (Fall 2010)
University of Toronto
Developed and taught: Information Technology and Economic Development (Fall 2006)
Research Reports and Working Papers
- Regional Focus: Middle East and North Africa, with Nancy Salem and Stefanie Felsberger. State of Open Data Report, Open Data for Development Network with the International Development Research Center, 2018.
- Historicizing Women in STEM and Technology, with Nancy Salem and Stefanie Felsberger, Inaugural Report, Equals Global Partnership, 2018.
- Capacity and Skill Development in the Solar Energy Sector in Egypt: The Case of Tiba Solar, Friedrich Ebert Stiftung, 2018.
- Efficiency Assessment of Oasis Hotel in Utilizing a Hybrid Solar Energy System, Friedrich Ebert Stiftung, 2018.
- A Gendered Analysis of Ridesharing: Perspectives from Cairo, Egypt. with Nancy Salem and Nadine Weheba. Sharing Economy in Cities in the Global South, Center for the Implementation of Public Policies Promoting Equity and Growth with the International Development Research Centre and the Multilateral Investment Fund, Inter-American Development Bank, 2018
- Rizk, Nagla (forthcoming) “The Sharing Economy and the Law: The Legal Environment Around Ride Hailing Services in Egypt”, Mobile Technologies and Access to Knowledge, Stefanie Felsberger and Ramesh Subramanian, Information Society Project, Yale Law School.
- Rizk, Nagla “Egypt’s Independent Music: A Realm of Sharing and Creativity”, Research Handbook on IP and Creative Industries, Abbe E. L. Brown and Charlotte Waelde, eds. Edward Elgar Publishing Ltd., 2018
- Global Censorship and Access to Knowledge: Shifting Modes, Persisting Paradigms, Pranesh Parakesh, Nagla Rizk and Carlos Affonso de Souza eds., New Haven: Information Society Project, Yale Law School, 2015.
- Entrepreneurship and Innovation in Egypt. Nagla Rizk and Hassan Azzazy, eds. American University in Cairo Press, 2016
- Access to Knowledge in Egypt: New Research on Intellectual Property, Innovation and Development, Nagla Rizk and Lea Shaver, eds, Bloomsbury Academic, 2010; (also in paperback by the American University in Cairo press, 2011).
Research Reports and Working Papers
- Towards an Alternative Assessment of Innovation in Africa (2018), with Jeremy de Beer, Ayah El Said and Nadine Weheba. Open African Innovation Research Network, 2018.
- A Glimpse into the Sharing Economy: A Study of Uber Driver Partners in Egypt” (2017) https://www.ssrn.com/abstract=2946083
- The Networked Public Sphere and Civic Engagement in Post-2011 Egypt: A Local Perspective, with Lina Attalah and Nadine Weheba. Arab Networked Public Sphere, in collaboration with Berkman Klein Center for Internet and Society at Harvard University, 2016. Arabnps.org.
- Civic Engagement and the Arab Networked Public Sphere: A Synthesis of Research Findings, joint publication of the Access to Knowledge for Development Center and Berkman Klein Center for Internet and Society at Harvard University, 2016. Arabnps.org.
- Studying the Arab Networked Public Sphere: A Reflection on Methods. joint publication of the Access to Knowledge for Development Center and Berkman Klein Center for Internet and Society at Harvard University, 2016. Arabnps.org.
- Knowledge & Innovation in Africa: Scenarios for the Future, Shirin Elahi and Jeremy de Beer with Dick Kawooya, Chidi Oguamanan, Nagla Rizk and the Open A.I.R. Network, Cape Town: Open African Innovation Research, 2013.
- Arab Knowledge Report 2009: Towards Productive Intercommunication for Knowledge, Kamal Abdul Latif, Omar Bizri, Mouin Hamza, Nagla Rizk and Ramzi Salama; Al Maktoum Foundation and the United Nations Development Programme, 2009.
- Rizk, N. (2015) “Revolution, Graffiti and Copyright: The Cases of Egypt and Tunisia”, The African Journal of Information and Communication (AJIC), (16), 48-59.
- Rizk N. and Kamel, S. (2013). “ICT and Building a Knowledge Based Society in Egypt”, International Journal for Knowledge Management 9 (1), 1-20.
- Rizk, N. (2012) “Free and Open Source Software (FOSS) as a Vehicle for Human Development in Egypt: Some Evidence and Insights”, International Journal of Technological Learning, Innovation and Development, 5(3), 221-236.
- Rizk, N. and Kamel, S. (2012). “ICT Strategy4Development: Public-Private Partnerships: The Case of Egypt”, International Journal of Strategic Information Technology and Applications (IJSITA), 3(2), 72-90.
- Rizk, N. (2010), “Notes from Egypt's Alternative Music Scene: Business Models, Commons and Copyright”, Journal of World Intellectual Property, 13 (3), 474-501.
- Rizk, N. (2005), “The Information Revolution and the Industrial Revolution: Today’s Egypt in the Shadow of the Past - A Note”, Topics in Middle Eastern and North African Economies, Volume 7 (invited).
- Rizk, N. (2004), “E-Readiness Assessment of Small and Medium Enterprise in Egypt: A Micro Study”, Topics in Middle Eastern and North African Economies, Volume 6 (invited).
- Rizk, N. (2002), “E-Commerce in the Arab World: Issues, Challenges and Opportunities”, Permanent Court of Arbitration/Peace Palace Papers, Volume 4, Kluwer Academic Publishers, September 2002.
- Rizk, N. (2002), “Information Technology and Growth: Prospects for Egypt’s Software Industry”, L’Egypte Contemporaine, Issue 465/466, January – April 2002.
- Sherif Kamel and Nagla Rizk (2017), “ICT strategy development: from design to implementation – case of Egypt”, in Strategic Information Systems and Technologies in Modern Organizations, edited by Caroline Howard and Kathleen Hargiss, a volume in the Advances in Business Information Systems and Analytics (ABISA) book series, 2017, ISSN: 2327-3275, pp. 239-257
- Rizk, N. (2016), “Media Concentration in Egypt”, in Who Owns the World Media? Media Concentration and Ownership Around the World, Eli Noam ed., New York: Oxford University Press.
- Rizk, N. (2015), “Behind Egypt’s Communication Outage of 2011: Censorship and Economic Liberty”, in Global Censorship and Access to Knowledge: Shifting Modes, Persisting Paradigms, Access to Knowledge Research Series. Pranesh Prakash, Nagla Rizk and Carlos Affonso de Souza eds., New Haven: Information Society Project, Yale Law School.
- Rizk, N. “Egypt’s Independent Music – Copyright, Commons and Revolution”, in Emerging Musical Scenes - rethinking music industry in the Global South, Pedro Augusto Francisc and Mariana Valente, eds. FGV Direito Rio, Brazil.
- Rizk, N. (2013), “From Ad Hoc Commons to Digital Commons in Egypt’s Independent Music Industry”, in The Collaborative Dynamics of Innovation and Intellectual Property in Africa, Jeremy de Beer, Chris Armstrong, Chidi Oguamanam and Tobias Schonwetter, eds., Cape Town: University of Cape Town Press
- Rizk, N. (2013), “Wireless Engagement”, in Knowledge and Innovation in Africa: Scenarios for the Future. Shirin Elahi and Jeremy de Beer eds., Cape Town: Open African Innovation Research and Training (Open AIR)
- Rizk, N. and Attalah, L. (2011), "Egypt's Evolving Media Landscape: Access, Public Interest and Control", in A New Frontier, An Old Landscape, Dixie Hawtin and Andrew Puddaphatt eds., New York: Ford Foundation, 118-136.
- Rizk, N. (2010) “Stories from Egypt’s Music Industry: De Facto Commons as Alternatives to Copyright”, in Access to Knowledge in Egypt, New Research on Intellectual Property, Innovation and Development, Rizk and Shaver eds., London: Bloomsbury Academic.
- Rizk, N. and Shaver, L. (2010) “Access to Knowledge in Egypt: Economic, Global and Local Perspectives”, in Access to Knowledge in Egypt: New Research on Intellectual Property, Innovation and Development, Rizk and Shaver, edsl, London: Bloomsbury Academic.
- Rizk, N. and El-Kassas, S. (2010) “The Software Industry in Egypt: What Role for Open-Source?”, in Access to Knowledge in Egypt, New Research on Intellectual Property, Innovation and Development; Rizk and Shaver eds., London: Bloomsbury Academic.
- Rizk, N. (2008), “Arab Musiconomics, Culture, and Copyright”, in Intellectual Property and Development: WIPO Development Agenda and Developing Countries, Neil Netanel, ed., New York: Oxford University Press.
- Rizk, N. (2008), “Information Technology, Cultural Heritage and Sustainable Development”, in Cultural Heritage and Development in the Arab World, Fekri Hassan, Aloisia de Trafford and Mohsen Youssef, eds.; Alexandria: Bibliotheca Alexandrina.
- Rizk, N. (2006), “Venturing the Unexplored: E-readiness Assessment of Small and Medium Enterprises in Egypt”, in Electronic Business in Developing Countries: Challenges and Opportunities, Sherif Kamel, ed., London: Idea Publishing Group.
Research and Teaching Material
- Knowledge & Innovation in Africa: Scenarios for the Future
- Rizk, N. (2016). "The Egyptian Knowledge Bank: Towards a Learning Society in Egypt", Case Study for CopyrightX Course.
- The Arab Knowledge Report 2009: Towards Productive Intercommunication for Knowledge, Al Ghurair Printing Publishing House L.L.C, Dubai, UAE.
- Free and Open Source Software (FOSS) as a Vehicle for Human Development in Egypt: Some Evidence and Insights.
- Bread, Freedom, and Social Justice: A Report from Egypt.
- Consultancy for the Ministry of Information and Communication Technology (MCIT) in Egypt to propose a strategy about the Free and Open Source (FOSS) in Egypt. Proposed strategy has been submitted.,2013-05-01-2013-12-31.
- Consultancy to the Egyptian Minister of Justice, Ahmed Mekki, along with a number of colleagues to discuss the Freedom of Information Draft Law.,2013-02-28.
- Member, Ministerial Committee on Reviewing Egypt’s Position in Global Innovation Metrics, Academy of Scientific Research and Technology (since June 2017)
- Author, National Strategy for “Free and Open Source Software in Egypt”, presented to the Ministry of Communication and Information Technology January 2014, announced March 2014.
- Member, Ministerial Committee on Right to Information Law, Egypt (Fall 2013)
- Member, Civil Society Working Group drafting Freedom of Information Law, Egypt (since June 2011)
- Founding Member, “Open Egypt”, free and open source software NGO, Egypt
- Member, Advisory Board and think tank of “Masr Al Horreya” party
- Founding Member, Egypt Network for Integrated Development (ENID) think tank on economic research for Egypt after the revolution
Professional and Other Civil Society Activities
- Member, Advisory Committee, Artificial Intelligence and Inclusion Initiative, Network of Internet and Society Centers championed by Harvard’s Berkman Klein Center for Internet and Society
- Member, Executive Committee, International Economic Association
- Member, Board, Tahrir Institute for the Middle East Policy, Washington DC
- Member, President’s Advisory Council, the American University in Cairo (January 2013-December 2015)
- Member, Steering Committee, Open African Innovation Research Project (Open A.I.R), with the University of Cape Town and the University of Ottawa
- Member, Board, Association for Freedom of Thought and Expression, Cairo
- Member, Board, Motoon Association for support of Techies and Activists
- Founding Member, Access to Knowledge Global Academy (A2KGA), in collaboration with the Information Society Project of Yale Law School and partners from Brazil, China, India and South Africa
- Member, Internet Society of Egypt
- Member, Arab Techies collective of Arabic speaking technology enthusiasts and practitioners supporting communities en route for development and social change.
- Member, American Economic Association
- Member, Middle East Economic Association
- Advisor to Egypt’s Ministry of Communication and Information Technology on Egypt’s Electronic readiness and information technology indicators (2002-2003)
- Referee, International Journal of Middle Eastern Studies
- Referee, Edward Elgar Publishing
- Member, Academic Program Committee, Free Culture Research Conference, October 2010
External Connection Funding
- Renewal of the Richard Bartlett gift to the Access to Knowledge for Development Center (A2K4D) and additional extra gift to Yale Law School to work with A2K4D. 2) Continuation of Open African Innovation Research (Open A.I.R.) project from the International Development Research Center (IDRC) and the Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ),2013-01-01-2013-12-31. Joint Proposal
- Preparing joint proposal with the University of Ottawa and other Open African Innovation Research partners. A joint proposal is currently being developed with International Development Research Center (IDRC) and another with Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council (SSHRC),2013-01-01-2013-12-31.Joint Research
- Joint research with Yale Law School- Information Society Project (ISP), writing the "Global Censorship and Access to Knowledge, International Case Studies" book. 2) Joint research with Berkman Center for Internet & Society titled "IDRC Mobilizationon for Change: The role of the networked sphere in advancing civic participation and collective action in the Arab Region Ending." 3) Joint research with Open African Innovation Research (Open A.I.R.) publishing a book chapter titled "From De Facto Commons to Digital Commons? - The Case of Egypt’s Independent Music Industry", another chapter in a book called "the Knowledge and Innovation in Africa" about three future scenarios, mine about a world of “wireless engagement. 4) With Brazil, there is a joint research forthcoming about the Creative Industries in the Global South.,2013-01-01-2013-12-31. Speaker International Development Research Center, Ottawa, International University,
- Talk given "ICT deployment, Economic Development and Civil Liberties: asymmetries and tensions in the Arab countries",2013-10-25-2013-10-25. Speaker University of Ottawa Law School , International University,
- "Developmental Perspectives on Access to Knowledge and Human Rights", talk to University of Ottawa Law School students of Intellectual Property and Human Rights,2013-10-24-2013-10-24. Speaker University of Ottawa Law School , International University,
- "ICTs and Development: Regulatory Environments and Enabling Frameworks", University of Ottawa Law School, Distinguished Visiting Research Professor talk series,2013-10-22-2013-10-22. Speaker Istanbul Bilgi University, International University,
- "ICT Laws, Innovation and Entrepreneurship." Keynote lecture at the symposium on ICT Laws and Innovation: Recent Developments, Challenges, and Lessons Learned, Regional event within the Network of Centers (NoC), which includes Harvard’s Berkman Center for Internet and Society, Bilgi University, Istanbul, Turkey.,2013-05-23-2013-05-23. Speaker Harvard University, Cambridge, Massachusetts, International University,
- “Egypt Today, What’s Brewing”, Berkman Center for Internet and Society, Harvard University, Cambridge, Massachusetts.,2013-04-22-2013-04-22. Speaker FGV Law School,
- "IP, Innovation and Development: Case Studies from Egypt" Global Congress on Intellectual Property and the Public Interest, FGV Law School, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil,2012-12-16-2012-12-16. Speaker FGV Law School,
- "The Current Moment: Egypt." Keynote speech at the Global Congress on Intellectual Property and the Public Interest, FGV Law School, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.,2012-12-15-2012-12-15.Speaker Harvard Law School, Cambridge, International University,
- "Structural Changes and Tipping Points in Egypt." Symposium on Internet-driven Developments: Structural Changes and Tipping Points, The symposium was co-hosted by the Humboldt Institute for Internet & Society in Berlin, the Centre for Internet and Society Bangalore, the Center for Technology & Society at the Fundação Getulio Vargas (FGV) Law School, KEIO University SFC, the MIT Media Lab and its Center for Civic Media, the NEXA Center for Internet & Society, and Harvard’s Berkman Center for Internet and Society. Harvard Law School, Cambridge,2012-12-06-2012-12-06.
- Curricular support, developing "Copyright X" course in partnership with Harvard's Berkman Center for Internet and Society and the University of Cape Town, to teach as a special topics course at AUC in Spring 2015.
- Workshop Organizer, Conference on Innovation and IP in Africa
- Workshop Organizer, Third Global Congress on IP and the Public Interest
- Conference-Related, Third Annual Workshop of the Access to Knowledge for Development Center (A2K4D) - Knowledge for Development: Freedoms, Networks and Innovation
- Workshop Organizer, Third Annual Workshop of the Access to Knowledge for Development Center (A2K4D) - Knowledge for Development: Freedoms, Networks and Innovation
- Member, Advisory Board of IQsensato International Development Research and Policy think tank
- Member, Advisory Board of the Columbia Institute for Tele-Information
- Member, Advisory Board of the Genero Initiative to Promote Free Culture
- Member, American Economic Association
- Member, Arab Association for Economic Research
- Member, Arab Techies
- Member, Executive Committee, International Economic Association
- Member, Internet Society of Egypt
- Member, Middle East Economic Association
- Member, Motoon Association for support of Techies and Activists
- Member, Scientific Committee, International Media Management Academic Association (IMMA)
- Member, Steering Committee, Open Africa Innovation Research Project (Open A.I.R), with the University of Cape Town and the University of Ottawa
- Member, The Tahrir Institute for Middle East Policy
- Member, The 2014 Multi Nation Program of the Eisenhower Fellowships
- Member, Open Society Foundation, Arab Regional Office
- Member, Board of R-shief virtual repository on Arab Revolutions
- Conference-Related, Open African Innovation Research Conference on Innovation and IP in Africa
- Conference-Related, Third Global Congress on Intellectual Property and Public Interest
- Committee Member, Eisenhower Fellowship
- Reviewer, Conference Paper, Entrepreneurship and Innovation: Shaping the Future of Egypt
- Member, Academic Program Committee, Free Culture Research Conference
- Member, Rights to Information Initiative
- Member, Ministerial Committee on Right to Information law
- Committee Member, Report of the IT Task Force: AUC Internetworked Knowledge-Based Ecosystem
- Committee Member, The American University in Cairo Promotions and Tenure Committee
In the Media
- Quoted in The Guardian, 2013-10-29.
- مقال فى بوابة الاهرام العربى بعنوان: الجامعة الأمريكية بالقاهرة تعقد ورشة العمل الثالثة لمركز إتاحة المعرفة من أجل التنمية, Al-Ahram Al-Arabi, 2013-06-10.
- Egyptian Women of Power article, Identify Magazine, 2013-03-11.
- Interviewed by a Swedish Television Channel to talk about the state of the Egyptian Economy in general. More specifically, discussed the proposed IMF loan as well as the country's declining reserves., Swedish Television Channel, 2013-02-27.
- Interviewed by Magnus Scholdts, a Swedish investment advisor, on the state of the Egyptian economy., 2013-02-12.
- Interviewed on Al Hayah Al Yawm Channel regarding the meeting Rizk had, along with a number of colleagues, with Egyptian Minister of Justice, Ahmed Mekki, to discuss the Freedom of Information Draft Law., Al Hayah Al Yowm, 2013-02-06.
- Invited in the show Bi-Tawqit Al Qahira hosted by Hafez Al Mirazi on Dream 2, among other activists to discuss sexual harassment., Dream 2, 2012-06-01.
- Indie stars challenge the mainstream scene in Egypt - See more at: http://www.middleeasteye.net/news/indie-stars-challenge-mainstream-scene..., Middle East Eye (middleeasteye.net), 2014-07-23.
- Interviewed for a cover story titled An Opening by the American Chamber of Commerce's Magazine, Business Monthly., Business Monthly Magazine, 2013-04-01.
- The Access to Knowledge for Development Center (A2K4D) hosted on an episode of Doha Debates, in Egypt over the motion ‘This House believes for the sake of democracy Egypt should postpone elections’ on March 14, 2011, Doha Debates, BBC World, 2011-03-14.
- Participated on the panel for the Doha Debates, member of the Qatar Foundation, over the motion ‘Education is worthless without freedom of speech’ aired on BBC World January 8 and 9, 2011, Doha Debates, BBC World, 2011-01-08.
- The International Development Research Center (IDRC) highly values and talks about Dr. Nagla Rizk's efforts with The Ministry of Communication and Information Technology (MCIT) in Egypt on the Open Source Software Strategy., IDRC website (https://www.idrc.ca/en/), 2014-09-15.
- Article titled How will open access to information affect society? and Dr. Nagla Rizk is quoted in. It's in a regular feature called the 'Big Question'., Wired (UK Edition), 2015-05-07.
- TV host Ahmed Moussa backpedals after Sisi poll gone bad on Twitter , MadaMasr, 2016-08-26.
- Berkman Klein Center announces 2016-2017 community http://today.law.harvard.edu/berkman-klein-center-announces-2016-2017-co..., Harvard Law Today, 2016-08-11.
- So many inventions, but so few patents , 2016-03-31.
- Uber Senior Strategist Visits Cairo; Affirms Commitment to Economic Opportunity for Egyptians https://newsroom.uber.com/egypt/uber-senior-strategist-visits-cairo-affi..., Uber Newroom, 2016-03-15.
- Where does Uber see itself in 5 years? , 2016-03-09.
- Uber Chief Advisor David Plouffe Visits the Middle East, Progress Newsroom, 2016-03-08.
- Nagla Rizk promotes innovative telecommunications solutions to raise the productivity and wellbeing of Egyptians, IDRC, March 6, 2016. , IDRC Facebook page, 2016-03-06.
- NAGLA RIZK PROMOTES INNOVATIVE TELECOMMUNICATIONS SOLUTIONS TO RAISE THE PRODUCTIVITY AND WELLBEING OF EGYPTIANS.
- قالت الدكتورة نجلاء رزق في مؤتمر صحفي لها إن النمو الاقتصادي لمصر لا زال يحتفظ بشكل كبير بقوّته الكامنة، كما أن الركود الاقتصادي في البلاد قد أصبح تحديًا أكبر على الرجال والنساء العاطلين عن العمل.
- Akhbarelyom, 2017-02-27.
- How Tech Can Fix Africa's Transportation Problems, http://afkinsider.com/134351/tech-can-fix-africas-transportation-problems/, AKF Insider, 2016-10-24.
- Interesting study on factors that can push #Data Driven Innov in Mena. To be available on #ddimena web soon https://twitter.com/IDRC_MENA/status/701322255356317696, Twitter, 2016-02-21.
- Al-Monitor Egyptian taxi drivers protest 'unfair competition' from Uber, Al Monitor - Egypt Pulse, 2016-02-10.
- Samir Radwan Nagla is one of the most innovative economics professor I know., Quoted in LinkedIn, 2015-10-19.
- The writer comments on the two books Innovation Intellectual Property: Collaborative Dynamics in Africa, edited by Jeremy de Beer, Chris Armstrong, Chidi Oguamanam and Tobia Schonwetter and “Knowledge innovation in Africa: scenarios for the future”, by Shirin Elahi, Jeremy de Beer, Dick Kawooya, Chidi Oguamanam and Nagla Rizk. The authors highly talks about them saying they both “add up to some refreshingly positive literature on what IP can offer Africa, and vice versa, and are a pleasant antidote to some of the depressing and patronizing texts this blogger has encountered over the years”. He adds that he especially like the 2 books’ authors views as they from Africa who has experience in IP and the continent as well which is a major advantage. He recommends the readers to view and read both books by adding in the pdf links for both books. , legalbusiness.co.uk, 2015-03-19.
- International Women’s Day 2015: Celebrating African Women Leaders in Intellectual Property, ipkenya.wordpress.com, 2015-03-06.