The American University in Cairo
M.A. in English and Comparative Literature
Thesis: Ambiguity in Literature: Recovering the Life of Reading
University of California, Berkeley
B.A. in Rhetoric
- Fun Things to Do with Dead Animals, co-author with Salima Ikram, (AUC Press, October, 2017)
- The Young Inventors Guild, Book Three: The Strange Round Bird… (Bancroft Press, May 2017)
- The Young Inventors Guild, Book Two: The Ravens of Solemano…
(Bancroft Press, September 2013)
- The Young Inventors Guild, Book One: The Atomic Weight of Secrets
(Bancroft Press, March 2011)
- Druid Hill Park: The Historic Heart of Baltimore
(Commissioned and published by The Maryland Historic Trust and The Department of Recreation and Parks of Baltimore City. History Press, 2008)
- Baltimore’s Historic Parks and Gardens
(Arcadia Books, 2005. All profits go to the Cylburn Arboretum Association.)
- The Daughter-in-Law’s Survival Guide
(New Harbinger Books, 2002. Published in Portuguese in 2005 and in Polish in 2007.)
- Growing Up in Baltimore: A Photographic History
(Arcadia Books, 2001. Awarded ‘best non-fiction’ March, 2002, Baltimore Sun.)
- Co-writer, screenplay for The Young Inventors Guild, Book Two: The Ravens of Solemano… (2014)
- Co-writer, screenplay for The Young Inventors Guild, Book One: The Atomic Weight of Secrets… (2013)
- 2000/2002: Short stories published in Urbanite Magazine
- NIEA award for best in juvenile fiction for The Strange Round Bird, 2017
- The Madeline Lamont Award, second place for ‘Snow’, short story, 2012
- The Sustainable Arts Foundation Award for The Young Inventors Guild, Book One: The Atomic Weight of Secrets, 2011
- The Arabian Musketeers (Stage play, Maadi Community Theatre, 2018)
- A Story of Robin Hood (Stage play, Maadi Community Theatre, 2016)
- The Captain’s Answer (Short film; London, England. 1994)
- Breath Against the Glass (Short film; London, England. 1993)
- Bus to the Big City, (Stage play; Paris, France. 1993)
2013-present: Lecturer, presenter, instructor, writing workshop leader, invited author, and discussion group facilitator. (Baltimore, MD)
2011: ‘Cultural Diplomat’- Toured Jordan with music group The Fuuls as guests of US Embassy.
2009: Cultural ‘Diplomat’- Toured the West Bank with music group The Fuuls as guests of US Consulate in East Jerusalem. Performed and work-shopped with Palestinian students and music teachers in the West Bank.
2008-2009: Private tutor in writing for homeschool students (Cairo, Egypt)
2005-2006: Grant writer, Parks & People Association, Baltimore ($150,000 grant-writing project).
2001-2006: Board of Directors member, Cylburn Arboretum Association, Baltimore, MD. Elected Vice-President, Board of Directors (2002).
2000-2006: Volunteer writing teacher, Roland Park Elementary/Middle School, (Baltimore, MD).
1998-1999: Consultant to WJHU (now WYPR) radio. (Baltimore, MD).
1997-present: Freelance writing and editing for Baltimore Magazine, The Baltimore Sun, Baltimore City Paper, Maryland Family Magazine, The Maadi Messenger.
1997-2003: Editor, The Urbanite Magazine (Baltimore, MD)
1993-1997: Recording artist & songwriter, A&M records.
1992-1993: Commissioned writer of short film scripts for Mountview Television Workshop, London. (Director, Richard Martin of BBC’s ‘Dr.Who’.)
1986-1990- Recording artist, Arista Records (while a college student!).