Deena Boraie is the Dean and Professor of Practice of the School of Continuing Education at The American University in Cairo. She leads a school that offers a wide range of continuing education and training programs in the areas of English language, IT and business studies, Arabic language, translation and teacher training. She is Past President (she served as President from 2012-2015) of the TESOL International Association, a large U.S.-based international professional development association for Teachers of English to Speakers of Other Languages, and has served on the TESOL Board of Directors (2007-2010). She is a language testing expert and an assessment and evaluation consultant and trainer with extensive experience working with education projects and organizations in Egypt and the region. She is also a visiting professor in the MA / PhD Applied Linguistics program at the Faculty of Arts, English Department of Cairo University where she teaches research methods.
Ph.D. in Education (Testing & Evaluation): The University of Wolverhampton, United Kingdom, School of Education, January 2004. Awarded the Caparo Prize for Achievement in Educational Research.
M.A. TEFL: The American University in Cairo, June 1988.
M.Sc. Solid State Science: The American University in Cairo, June 1982.
B.Sc. in Chemistry & Minor in Management: The American University in Cairo, February 1978 with Highest Honors. Awarded the Akila Said Cup by the Chemistry department for an outstanding academic record in Chemistry in January 1978.
- Coombe, C., Davidson, P., Gebril, A., Boraie, D. and Hidri, S.(Eds.), (2017). Language assessment in the Middle East and North Africa: Theory, practice and future trends. Dubai: TESOL Arabia.
- Boraie, D., Arrigoni, E., & Moos, J. (2017). Investigating the use of English language proficiency assessments for admission and placement in English-medium universities in Arabic-speaking countries. In Atta Gebril (Ed.), Applied linguistics in the Middle East and North Africa: Current practices and future directions. Amsterdam: John Benjamins.
- Gebril, A., D. A. Boraie, and E. A. Arrigoni. (2016). Assessment literacy training for English language educators in Egypt. In S.V. Aryadous and J. Fox (Eds.), Current Trends in Language Testing in the Pacific Rim and the Middle East: Policies, Analyses, and Diagnoses. Cambridge: Cambridge Scholars Publishing.
- Boraie, D. A. and Gebril, A. (Eds.). (2015-2016). Proceedings from the 19th & 20th NileTESOL/AUC Conference: Creative communities: Inspiring teaching and ownership of learning & Best practices in TESOL: Communicate, collaborate, create. Cairo: Nile TESOL, AUC.
- Boraie, D. & Gebril, A. (2015). Creating effective research questions. In J.D. Brown & C. Coombe (Eds.), The Cambridge guide to language research. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- Boraie, D. A. and Gebril, A. (Eds.). (2014). Proceedings from the 18th NileTESOL/AUC Conference: Navigating a way forward: Innovating and E-innovating in TESOL. Cairo: Nile TESOL, AUC.
- Boraie, D. A. and Gebril, A. (Eds.). (2013). Proceedings from the 17th NileTESOL/AUC Conference: Revolutionizing TESOL: techniques and strategies. Cairo: Nile TESOL, AUC.
- Boraie, D. (2012). Formative vs. summative assessment: Does it matter? TESOL Connections, September 2012.
- Boraie, D. & Dewidar, A. (2005). Language assessment in Egypt: Development, challenges and future directions. In P. Davidson, C. Coombe & W. Jones (Eds.), Assessment in the Arab world. Dubai: TESOL Arabia.
- Kassabgy, O.; Boraie, D.; & Schmidt, R. (2001). Values, rewards, and job satisfaction in ESL/EFL. In Z. Dornyei & R. Schmidt (Eds.), Motivation and second language acquisition (Technical Report #23, pp.213-237).Honolulu: University of Hawai'i, Second Language Teaching and Curriculum Center.
- Schmidt, R., Boraie, D. & Kassabgy, O. (1996). Foreign language motivation: Internal structure and external connections. In R. Oxford (ed.), Language learning motivation: Pathways to the new century. (Technical Report #11) (pp. 13-87). Honolulu, Hawaii: University of Hawaii, Second Language Teaching & Curriculum Center.
- Kassabgy, O. & Boraie, D. (1993). Motivation for career development: Implications for training program design. Conference proceedings of the Public Authority for Applied Education and Training Conference, Kuwait.
She has published on topics ranging from assessment literacy, language testing and assessment, teacher beliefs and student and teacher motivation. She has presented in several countries on issues of English as a lingua franca, language classroom assessment, teacher professional development and teacher effectiveness. She teaches research methods, monitoring and evaluation and testing and assessment of learning.