Catarina Belo is an associate professor of philosophy at The American University in Cairo.
DPhil, Oriental Studies, University of Oxford, 2004
BA, Arabic and Islamic Studies, School of Oriental and African Studies, University of London, 2000
BA, Philosophy, University of Lisbon, 1997
After working as a research fellow on Islamic philosophy in medieval Hebrew manuscripts at the Martin-Buber-Institut für Judaistik, University of Cologne (Germany), she joined the Department of Philosophy at AUC in February 2006.
She is a specialist in medieval Islamic philosophy, in particular Avicenna’s and Averroes’ physics and metaphysics. Other interests include medieval Islamic theology (kalam), and medieval Christian philosophy, with a focus on the thought of St. Thomas Aquinas, as well as German Idealism, in particular Hegel's philosophy. In addition, she studies the intersection between philosophy and religion in the Middle Ages, and more recently in Hegel's work.
Her most recent work is Averroes and Hegel on Philosophy and Religion (Ashgate Publishing 2013). She has authored several books and articles in Islamic philosophy and has completed a translation of the pseudo-Aristotle’s Theology of Aristotle into Portuguese, as well as several articles in medieval philosophy for international journals and anthologies.
Additional fields of expertise
Medieval philosophy, Islamic theology, the Aristotelian tradition in the Middle Ages
- Chance and Determinism in Avicenna and Averroes, Leiden: Brill, 2007.
- Averróis, Discurso decisivo sobre a harmonia entre a religião e a filosofia, translation from the Arabic into Portuguese with introduction and notes by Catarina Belo, Lisbon: Imprensa Nacional-Casa da Moeda, 2006.
- O essencial sobre Averróis, Lisbon: Imprensa Nacional-Casa da Moeda, 2007.
- A Teologia de Aristóteles by the Pseudo-Aristotle, translated from the Arabic with introduction and notes by Catarina Belo, Volume XIII, Tome II of The Complete Works of Aristotle series in Portuguese, edited by António Pedro Mesquita, Lisbon: Centre for Philosophy of the University of Lisbon and Imprensa Nacional-Casa da Moeda, 2010.
- Existence, Cause, Essence. Essays in Islamic Philosophy and Theology, Lisbon: Centre for Philosophy of the University of Lisbon, 2012.
- Averroes and Hegel on Philosophy and Religion, Farnham: Ashgate Publishing, 2013.
- ‘Ibn Sīnā on Chance in the Physics of al-Shifā’’, in Interpreting Avicenna: Science and Philosophy in Medieval Islam, Proceedings of the Second Conference of the Avicenna Study Group, ed. by J. McGinnis with the assistance of D. Reisman, Leiden/Boston, Brill, 2004, pp. 25-41.
- ‘Deus na filosofia e na teologia islâmicas: a resposta de Averróis a al-Ghazzālī’, in Maria Leonor L. O. Xavier (ed.), A Questão de Deus na História da Filosofia, vol. I, Sintra, Zéfiro/Fundação para a Ciência e a Tecnologia/Centro de Filosofia da Universidade de Lisboa, 2008, pp. 229-237.
- ‘Some Notes on Averroes’ Appraisal of non-Islamic Religions, with a Focus on Christianity and Judaism’, in Universality of Reason, Plurality of Philosophies in the Middles Ages (Proceedings of the 12th SIEPM Congress, Palermo, 17-22 September 2007), edited by Alessandro Musco, Rosanna Gambino - Luciana Pepi - Patrizia Spallino - Maria Vassallo, indices by Patrizia Spallino, vol. III, Palermo, Officina di Studi Medievali, 2012, pp. 1-9.
- ‘Averroes on God’s Knowledge of Particulars’, Journal of Islamic Studies, Oxford, 17:2, 2006, pp. 177-199.
- ‘Ibn Rushd on God’s Decree and Determination (al-qaḍā’ wa-l-qadar)’, Al-Qantara, Madrid, volume XXVII, fasc.2, July-December 2006, pp. 245-264.
- ‘Mu‘tazilites, Al-Ash‘arī, and Maimonides on Divine Attributes’, Veritas, Porto Alegre (Pontifical Catholic University of Rio Grande do Sul, Brazil), vol. 52, no. 3, September 2007, pp. 117-131.
- ‘Predestination and human Responsibility in medieval Islam: some aspects of a classical Problem’, in Didaskalia, Theology journal of the Catholic University of Lisbon, XXXVIII, I, 2008, pp. 139-151.
- ‘Some Considerations on Averroes’ Views regarding Women and their Role in Society’, Journal of Islamic Studies, Oxford, 20:1, 2009, pp. 1-20.
- ‘Essence and Existence in Avicenna and Averroes’, al-Qantara, Madrid, volume XXX, 2 (June-December), 2009, pp. 403-426.