Egypt Elections: Al-Asala Party
November 03, 2011
Al-Asala is a Salafi party founded by Adel abd al-Maqsoud Afify following the January 2011 uprising. It is the second Salafi party after al-Nour to gain official recognition in Egypt. Al-Asala is a member of the Democratic Alliance.
In July 2011, Adel abd al-Maqsoud Afify, then-president of the al-Fadila Party, announced his resignation and founded al-Asala. A number of prominent Salafi preachers have declared their support for al-Asala, including Sheikh Mohamed Hassan, Mohamed Abdel Maksoud, Mohamed abd al-Salaam, Sheikh Mostafa Mohamed, and Sheikh Mamdouh Gaber. The party’s stated goal is to spread the values of justice and equality, and to restore Egypt’s leading role in the world in conformity with the principles of Islamic law. The al-Asala Party gained official recognition as a political party on August 28, 2011.
- Supporting an Islamic religious state in Egypt
- Supporting reforms that will move the Egyptian state and society toward Islam
- Treating all Egyptian individuals with justice regardless of their religious or political views
- Fighting corruption
- Prosecuting anyone who commits a crime against the Egyptian people
- Affirming the freedom of the media but only under the restrictions of Islamic law
- Supporting a fair distribution of wealth
- Working to raise the quality of life through social solidarity and the promotion of investment
Foreign Policy Issues:
- Working to return Egypt to its leading position in the Islamic world through its part in the revolution through an Islamic renaissance
- Unifying the ranks of the Islamic world and pushing it to fight against injustice
- Rejecting the Camp David Accords and peace with or recognition of Israel
Major Party Figures:
General Doctor Adel abd al-Maqsoud Afify: Founder and President
Ihab Mohamed Ali Sheeha: Founder
Mohamed Ibrahim Abdel Fattah Sultan: Founder
From Guide to Egypt’s Transition, Carnegie Endowment for International Peace: http://egyptelections.carnegieendowment.org/2011/09/20/al-asala-authenticity-party
The Carnegie Endowment for International Peace is a private, nonprofit organization dedicated to advancing cooperation between nations and promoting active international engagement by the United States. Founded in 1910, its work is nonpartisan and dedicated to achieving practical results.